Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:06 AM   #1

Default Cycling

I have seen not any recent cycling photos so I though I would put these up. They had a monster of a hill on the circuit that tore the field apart on every lap. Any C & C are greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:42 AM   #2

Good to see some new sports photogs posting here. I like the mix of panning and stop-action. I like the close crops and sharpness is good in many instances.

The one problem I see here is some of the pan shots don't quite work for me. The reason being IMO you still want a sharp face for the shot to work. In shot 2 your technique looks very good - great motion blur and the trunk is nice and sharp. But the shot doesn't work well for me because the FACE & head isn't sharp. So either a slightly quicker shutter to help freeze some of that motion blur or a different shot in the series where the head was steadier.

Shot 3: The challenge here is the rider in the back is a more interesting subject to me because you see his face. But his face is blurry - the other rider is sharp but less interesting. The background rider is enough in focus and positioned such that he draws attention. I noticed him in the image before I noticed the rider you were focusing on.

Shot 4: I like the shot but not the bottom crop - too much off his shoe/bike. The crowd works well in the image but the hand/camera on the right of the frame are a distraction - moreso because the trailing riders take your eye from left to right (which is good) but then the eye slams into those objects in the right of the frame. Tough to shoot in a crowd without things like that. If this were just for web-viewing I'd crop off that edge even though you'd crop off one of the trailing riders.

shot 5: My favorite shot. Nice and sharp - good expression and good context. Shot 4 would be the best if those other issues weren't there (but you can't add in the wheel and foot)

Overall, some nice stuff here. Thanks for sharing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 3:07 PM   #3

Thank You for the comments John.

I see you point on the two panning shoots. I cropped out the camera at home on number 4 and it does make a big difference. I guess I get hung up on standard photo sizes when that is not needed on the web.

I too wish I had gotten the shoe and the rest of the bike. It was crazy shooting on the hill and trying to hold a position in the crowd. Every time the riders passed by the crowd would fill the road to see the action coming up the hill, then separated again to let them pass by. Cycling is one of the few sports where you can get that close to the action. They come by so close and fast it hard to judge there distance looking through the lens. I had a friend behind me holding on to my belt with instruction to pull me back in case I misjudged the distance.

Thanks again for your comments
Old Oct 2, 2009, 5:18 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I agree with John good to see some new shooters and different sports out there.

It also helps that these are a really high quality so hope you will be posting some more in the future. Good combination of shots....
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:26 PM   #5

I appreciate the kind words Mark.

It helps to know you think these are good quality. I tend to be highly critical of my work. While I know that you need to critical to improve, I just am not sure where to draw the line. I want to zoom in on the photo until I can see every pixel which of coarse does not work. Iím just not sure where to draw the line yet.