Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 10, 2009, 2:47 AM   #1

Default Sports Gear Setup

Howdy,

I know this shouldnt be here BUT Ive been given approx $30000 to spend on camera equipment. Im a Canon fanatic and want to stay with it. I am shooting SPORTS only including Drags, Hockey, Swimming, Tennis, ALL Motorsports, Cricket etc.

I am trying to get some views on what body I should go for... ATM Im thinking the 1D Mark III or 7D...

Which one is probably better to go along with as I have been able to get an actual answer on which one is better for what I am doing.

Cheers
Kronnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:30 AM   #2

Just to be clear - is that $30,000 ?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:41 AM   #3
spy

The first thought that came to my mind is, what is highest priority in your mind - having lots of megapixels OR shutter speed?

- 5d Mark II shoots 21 megapixel photos but at 4 fps you only have to know when to shoot. 4 fps isn't all that fast, the only thing you need to remember is that with any sport your dealing with the fact that it's all repetitive. If you missed the tennis player hitting the ball, you know it's coming back again. My other opinion is that if a photographer can nail down his timing with a variety of sports, he/she is better for it than just machine gunning the shutter and picking the best one from the bunch.

- 1D Mark III shoots 10 fps with 10 megapixels.

Another important note to consider would be, would the customer (if your shooting for them) know the difference between a 21 and 10 megapixels. I went from shooting with the 20d (8 megapixel) to the 5d Mark II and there is no doubt a HUGE difference in the photos.

What are your thoughts?

Kevin
www.poetryofmotion.com
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 2:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Just to be clear - is that $30,000 ?

Actually its open cheque book but I said $30,000 including a lap top, programs etc
Old Oct 11, 2009, 2:22 AM   #5

I just did some reading on the Canon website and read the specifications on the bodies.

7D - $2700.00 RRP (Body only)
ISO 100 - 6400
8 FPS/MAX = 90 JPEG - 15 RAW
Shoots Movies
18 Megapixel

1Ds Mark III - $12,000 Body Only)
ISO 100 - 1600
5 FPS/56 MAX
21.1 Megapixel

5D - $4800 (Body Only)
ISO 100 - 6400
3.9 FPS
21.1 Megapixel

Im thinking the 7D is looking quite nice.... any thoughts???
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:21 AM   #6

The gear we are looking at setting up with is as follows...

2 x 7D or
2 x 1Ds Mark III or
2 x 5D Mark II

EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Extender EF 1.4x II
EF 15mm f/2.8 FISHEYE
Speedlite 580 EX II

From there we are also looking at
Upgraded Batteries or Battery Grips
Extended Eyecup (outwards not 90 degree)
Monopod with the ability to have a turnable head
3 x Sandisk Extreme III 8GB Card
Old Oct 11, 2009, 6:15 AM   #7

Not sure why you're looking at 1ds mkIII or 5dII as cameras for primarily sports. Both do OK but it's not their forte. The 1dmkIII is still quite a bit ahead as a sports camera. The early word on the steet on the 7d is mixed as one might expect. From 2 other sportsshooter members the consensus is it's better than the 50d but not as good as 1dmkIII.

With that kind of money you should be using a 1dmkIII in Canon's lineup - the 5dII isn't in it's class as a sports camera (1ds is too much money and NOT a sports camera).

The lenses are a good kit - I wouldn't go much beyond that at the beginning. Wait until you find the holes. The temptation will be there to spend more but wait until you identify a need. The one exception is you'll want something like a 24-70 - (I use the 24-105) for standard shots - celebration shots, etc. Going from 70mm down to a fisheye probably not a great idea.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 6:30 AM   #8
Super Moderator

With that sort of cash I would also consider the Nikon lineup. The D3x is a very worthy camera indeed. I'm a Canon shooter, I have the 1D mkIII for sports and also the 5D mkII for weddings and wouldn't consider the 5D for serious sports work it just doesn't have the performance needed.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 7:45 AM   #9

Thanks for your advice on my gear choice... 7D is looking a real treat ATM so is the 1D Mark III.

As for the lenses I think your right I really do need something in between.

Cheers
Old Oct 11, 2009, 9:45 AM   #10

There are several problems with the 7d as a professional sports camera:
1) has 19 cross type focus points but only center is high-precision. 1d has 19 high precision focus points.

2) High ISO - still not as good as the 1d and certainly not up to what the D700 and D3 are doing.

3) Shutter life. 1d rated at 300,000. I believe the 7d is half that.

4) Battery life. 1d battery is good for about 3000-4000 shots.

5) focus speed in low light - again the comments I'm seeing are that it isn't as fast as the mkIII.
The 7d will be a great camera for hobbyists and is a nice light-weight alternative but it's not a pro body. Pro shooters aren't selling off mkIIIs to buy 7ds nor will they (though a number will be happy when the mkIV comes out probably next year).

If you're still under the delusion that megapixels is more important, you need to cure yourself of that. ESPN, Sports Illustrated and every 95% of pro sports media photogs using Canon are using 1dmkIIN (8mp) or 1dmkIII (10mp). None of them are going to switch to a 7d because it has more mp. The key to sports is using the right focal length for the job so you're not overcropping and so you have sharp images. The web is full of crap images from 15mp cameras that people overcrop.

If your friend's mag is footing the bill, trust me, you want a pro body.

I'm with Mark - right now the best on the market is the D3 with D700 as a 2nd body. But the glass is pricier too.