Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 6, 2009, 6:31 PM   #11

schent1, jschoenr and JimC Thanks a lot for your replays.
my bad, i didn't think of it that way!!! all i wanted to do is to share my pics with you guys to get your feed back on the photos and how to improve "techniques or post process". I posted larger to show you better details.

JimC, you still didn't give me your valuable opinion on the photos "your feed back and replays always been informative".

Thanks again guys
Old Nov 6, 2009, 6:48 PM   #12
Administrator

I like them. I know it can be pretty tough panning fast enough to get a higher percentage of keepers trying to fill the frame that much. I see you were using shutter priority to keep shutter speeds slow enough to pick up blur in the wheels for a greater feeling of motion. That looks like it was working well for you. It does look like the Center Weighted metering leaned towards exposing a couple of them a bit bright (losing detail in white areas, turning black tires more towards gray). That may have been the track color causing it. If you see any blown highlights in the histogram when using playback shooting in those same conditions again, you may want to dial the exposure back a tad using a -EV setting with Exposure Compensation.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 8:26 PM   #13

JimC thank you again...as always your informative replay is very informative. as you said the keepers are very few. plus the lens is heavy and made me think twice before i took it to the race "got tired after the qualification day" but the result of some pics got me excited again. what really helped is the position of the seat which was amazing "got to see them brake hard for the 2 corners and then accelerate for one of the longest straight in F1" but the sound was way tooooo louuuuud.

thanks again
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:31 PM   #14

Very nice series. I'm still hoping for F1 to return to North America so that I can get some shots. *crosses fingers for a deal to be made for Montreal* My miserable photographic experience with my coolpix P&S a few years ago at Indy for the US F1 race really sparked my choice to get a DSLR so I'm really hoping to get a chance to photograph Formula 1 again. I watched the Abu Dhabi GP from the comfort of my chair at home in HD so that's about as close as I could get to it for now. It looks like a pretty nice track and I liked the daytime to nighttime transition for the race. I agree that F1 is very loud, gotta bring the ear protection. Again, nice job!
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 2:39 AM   #15

Great shots, they're not easy to pan with at all, nicely done

My flickr
Rob_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 4:07 AM   #16

Thanks MadMikeSS, me and my brother forgot our ear protection for the qualification and the race but thankfully, at the race they were distributing it for free at the circuit.

Thanks Rob_W, the keepers were few compare to the 700+ shots
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:36 AM   #17
TG

Nice series of shots, good use of shutter speed (as mentioned by JimC) sharp images still with motion blur in the wheels. Try keeping your pans straighter or straighten in PP. Not tight enough for pans for my taste, crop a bit tighter or use a longer lens.
Where were these shots taken from (grandstand or public area) and were they under lights?

Tom
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 2:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
Nice series of shots, good use of shutter speed (as mentioned by JimC) sharp images still with motion blur in the wheels. Try keeping your pans straighter or straighten in PP. Not tight enough for pans for my taste, crop a bit tighter or use a longer lens.
Where were these shots taken from (grandstand or public area) and were they under lights?

Tom
Thanks Tom for your opinion.

I was on the North grandstand, and the some of the shots were under evening light "shadow" and some was at night "but the light was good with the aperture set to F.4 "wide open with the Sigma 100-300mm F.4" I tried to shoot at 300mm with the cars approaching the far corner from my grandstand but all the shot were blurry and when the cars are so close "beneath me" the fence ruin the shots.

some other pics are on my WEB GALLERY you can check them comment on the ones that need improvement...etc.