Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:43 AM   #1

Default Bethal University Vs St Johns

I shot some hockey for the first time this past Friday night. Shot these in the manual mode 1/500 f2.8 iso1600. I had a little trouble managing the noise. It also seems like they could be sharper.

C & C is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking

Tom
Attached Images

schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:31 PM   #2

Some cracking action Tom!!, my only gripe is they're not numbered which makes individual pic comments a pain!. my fave is #4 given the position of the puck & the defence players face . #2 is also very nice but I feel a bit soft in processing? I've taken the liberty of running the shot through my "Action" in PS3 (I'll remove if offended)& I think it picks up a bit of sharpness??. Kind regards Graham

bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:55 PM   #3
Super Moderator

these look good, really good for a first attempt. you captured the action quite well.

the noise is not really an issue here, considering you are shooting at iso 1600 and it appears you are cropping them quite a bit as well. a little work on your post-procesing will help as well, you have some sharpening halos and such. but this is a really nice first attempt here.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman graham View Post
#2 is also very nice but I feel a bit soft in processing? I've taken the liberty of running the shot through my "Action" in PS3
Hi Graham,

Thank you for your comments. What is the ďActionĒ you ran the shot through? Any suggestions on how to improve the processing?

Tom
Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
a little work on your post-procesing will help as well, you have some sharpening halos and such.
Thanks for the comments Dustin.

I am not sure what sharpening halos are??

Tom
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:05 AM   #6

My initial reaction is that shots are lacking sharpness because they're overcropped. For example, shot #2 the check on the boards - do you have the original photo still? Can you post the original unedited version just resized for posting? I find it difficult to believe at 145mm the shot was anywhere near that tightly framed. Same for shot 4 - focus is there but there's no detail. Do you have the original version of that shot as well?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:14 PM   #7

Hi John,

I am thinking you nailed the issue with the cropping. I mentally know to shoot tight (at least 2/3 of the frame) but some how it is not getting through to the view finder. The other problem is the camera does not show the entire frame in the view finder so it is even worse than I shot it. More practice I guess. Not sure why I donít connect the framing issue when I view these on the computer.

I know that exposure is often an issue too. Does the exposure look right?

Here is the resized original plus a second photo is one that I did manage to shoot tightly framed (nobody was moving). Does the quality of the 2nd photo look good?

Tom
Attached Images

Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:42 PM   #8

Tom,

When shooting landscape at HIGH ISO - I'd put the rule at about 90% of the frame - not 2/3. Otherwise, as in this case, you don't get critical focus/sharpness. Both shots are still underexposed IMO. In the second shot of the players standing on the ice - look how the ICE and uniform highlights are greyish - they should be bright white. I'd say they look a good 1/2 stop underexposed. With that fixed and some UnSharp Mask (USM) applied to the second photo that photo would be OK I think. I also believe there is a degradation of the images when you're resizing them that is adding artifacts and possible softness. Look at the 2nd shot (players standing) as it appears in this post and compare it to how the original looks on your monitor at home (before resizing). Does the quality look the same?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:25 PM   #9

John,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

When comparing the full resolution images at the same size as the forum I do not see a difference in sharpness. From what I see, the quality looks very close. So I donít think resizing a big part of the problem.

Now that you point it out, I see the grayness in the whites. These were shot at 1/500 f2.8 iso1600, so to get an extra half stop I would need to go to 1/350 f2.8 iso1600 (assuming the same arena). My 40D is being repaired and the Rebel loaner only goes to iso1600. I am not sure if I will start to get blurring at that speed? I assume that I also need watch that I donít over expose too?

Tom
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:54 AM   #10

Tom - you are correct. With only ISO 1600 available you're in a bit of a bind. 1/320 will be too slow to stop a lot of action and 1/500 is underexposing your shots. My suggestion is to try both and see which issue you can better live with until you have your 40d back.