Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:22 AM   #1

Default High School Basketball with K-7

For several reasons not relevant to the forum I have not been shooting sports this fall, but last night our school's basketball coach asked me to shoot a set of games since he was matched up against his brother as the opposing coach for the first time. This gave me the chance to check out the Pentax K-7 in our cave of a high school gym for the first time.

I shot at ISO 3200 with a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens. The big problem with the earlier Pentax DSLR's has been speed and accuracy of focus, particularly in limited light situations like a gym. Probably the best measure I have of how much the new camera has improved in this area is that I threw out almost no shots because of poor focus. Overall, greatly improved performance. Problems with these shots have to be blamed on the shooter, not the camera.

Believe it or not, the kid made this off-balance throw.

Lighting was so inconsistent that I dumped my custom white balance and let the camera adjust with automatic white balance, then corrected as best I could in Lightroom. Still, there were inconsistencies.

Overall, the evening was a lot of fun. I had not thought about using the Tamron lens for sports before, but the flexibility of the zoom was nice and the 28-75mm range was excellent for shooting from under the basket.

Feedback is welcome.

Paul

BTW, for those struck by the "Texas" jerseys, our high school was not challenging the Longhorns. The opponent was Texas High School from their side of the line in Texarkana, which straddles the Arkansas-Texas line.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links