Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:59 AM   #1

Default RC Planes

I'm into RC planes and we have a flying field nearby. We had a little impromptu fly-in last Friday so here's some shots from that.

Taken with an Olympus E-600
Attached Images

jennlynn130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:23 AM   #2

Nice shots. Thanks for posting.. Some basic (maybe a bit nit-picky) comments..

1. Maybe try decreasing your shutter speed a bit to get some prop blur to show movement.

2. Color balance seems to vary a bit - keep an eye on that

3. In the last shot, your horizon is really tilted - keep it straight
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:04 PM   #3

I wont knit pick. Great shots. Well composed and a joy to look at.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 5:43 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Great to have another RC flyer on board and for some of the first photos with your E-600 you have done a good job. Shooting RC aircraft is pretty hard due to the size and speed but with some practise and playing around with some settings you will be able to take them to another level which will impress everyone at the field ever more than these will have done.

What lenses do you have?

I really like the Extra, is it in a prop hang or just climbing?

I've just put a new thread on here which you can find at RC Planes and Helicopters

Hopefully this will be an encouragement to get out and shoot more and play around with the different effects available now you are shooting with a dSLR.

Looking forward to see you next post.

What aircraft do you fly?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 5:24 PM   #5

Yeah, I really have a lot to learn with it. I think this forum will help me a lot

It came with 2 Zuiko lenses, a 14-42 and a 40-150. Really need a 300 but they're quite expensive.

The Extra is hovering . It's what he does best.

My dad and I fly and we have a foamy T-28 Trojan, A Tiger Moth, a little foamy SuperCub, a profile plane,a 2m glider, and we just got a Sr. Telemaster. I can fly all of them but I prefer the T-28 and the Sr. Telemaster (since it is really my plane lol). My dad mainly flies the profile and tiger moth. I'm not crazy about the profile since it's so sensitive, fast, and small. I learned to fly on an EasyStar which we still have.

We were flying a Cessna 182 over a month ago and lost contact with the radio. It was at a slight bank and just kept going in a slow circle until it ran out of gas and crashed. We haven't been able to find it yet . My dad had it in a closet for 25 years and decided to get out out and fix it up last year. I really really hated to see it go as I was just learning how to fly it and it had some sentimental value. We haven't given up though so maybe there's hope.

And now that I've written what looks like a journal entry, I'll wake you back up with some more pictures from the fly-in
The last one is our new sr. telemaster taken on another day. A gloomy day)
Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2009, 5:39 PM   #6
Super Moderator

The 150 is a little short and a 300mm lens would really help as this will give you a 35mm equivalent of 600mm. I use a 600mm lens on a Canon 1D mkIII which gives a 35mm equivalent of 780mm and I still want more LOL.

I love prop hanging my Edge 540 although with aircraft I'm not great at much else 3D. We are fortunate that one of our members is a demonstration pilot sponsored by quite a few RC companies and let's just say he rocks!!

I would pretty much shoot at the 150mm setting always so you can frame as tight as possible which will help you to throw the background out of focus like you have with heli.

What jet is that in the first of this new series?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 6:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
What jet is that in the first of this new series?
I'm really not sure. I know the guy who owns it has said before but I don't remember.