Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 2, 2009, 5:36 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default RC Planes and Helicopters

I was inspired by our new member Jennifer who just posted some nice RC shots to dig out some of mine.

Shot with Canon 1D mkIII and Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 with 2x TC.
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2009, 5:39 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Now a couple taken with my camera but of me flying a couple of my helis.

The first of the 2 is my favorite heli, although it is electric the power to weight ratio allows me to throw it around the sky much more than my much larger glow fuel model.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mark1616; Dec 2, 2009 at 1:01 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 5:56 AM   #3

Great shots. Im interested in anything man made that flies. Im particularly interested in your heli shots. The parasail in Jennifer's post I like as well. Your fixed wing planes have amazing detail considering how fast they are zipping by. Thanks Mark. By the way, I have a small heli I fly around inside here.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 6:38 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Thanks Bynx. To the the shots that are very sharp I have a load that are not sharp at all as I'm working with pretty low shutter speeds and framing tightly so any error in panning will make a shot useless. I fly both helis and fixed wing and prefer the challenge of the helis. I have a couple of indoor helis as well as the bigger ones and they are great fun. Your challenge now is to get a creative shot of your little heli
Old Dec 2, 2009, 9:18 AM   #5

Just noticed, the 4th shot of the jet has no prop. What keeps it up? Also thats one amazing shot. Your focus, exposure and panning are absolutely perfect.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:00 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Just noticed, the 4th shot of the jet has no prop. What keeps it up? Also thats one amazing shot. Your focus, exposure and panning are absolutely perfect.
I couldn't resist this facetious answer, but it is kept up by aerodynamic lift, the same as all aircraft hehe.

Being serious it is powered by EDF (electric ducted fan), so it has a very high speed fan inside the fuselage powered by an electric motor. This is one fast little beast.

A major advantage of EDF and real jets is that you don't have to bring the shutter speed down to freeze a propeller so getting a sharp shot is quite a bit easier.

I thought you might like a real radio controlled jet, you can see the jet wash behind the aircraft..... jets rock!!!!
Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:56 PM   #7
TGP

Awesome shots Mark. I remember several years ago I was fortunate to be able to go to a trade show here in Australia where they had a RC F111 which was about 2 metres long. I cant remember the specs of what was in it but it was a mini jet engine.
They took it outside and staked it down to the ground and then fired it up. It was amazing listening to it winding up before igniting. The heat from the flame coming out the rear could be felt nearly 5 meters away. The force from the propulsion nearly pulled the stakes out of the ground when they gave it a quick burst. Something I will never forget.
TGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 4:21 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Thanks TGP. They do sound amazing when they fire up don't they?!?!?! One of the guys from the club just put his jet in due to a pilot error so he wasn't a happy man.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 4:46 PM   #9

Heeey another RC Pilot! Those are fantastic shots. That heli in your second post is too close to the ground for comfort! hahaha. At least you have an easy way to cut the grass ;D
jennlynn130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 5:07 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennlynn130 View Post
Heeey another RC Pilot! Those are fantastic shots. That heli in your second post is too close to the ground for comfort! hahaha. At least you have an easy way to cut the grass ;D
LOL, the committee keep suggesting I join the grass cutting rota with my helis.