Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:45 AM   #1

Default Middle School Holiday Tournament

Comments, critiques, and suggestions are appreciated.

Okay I made it to the Middle School tournament on Saturday and took some shots of some friends. Some of these girls used to play for me in the rec league and have now moved up to the school team. I tried to follow Jason's lead and shot almost all of these with the 70-200mm f/2.8. It really was hard not to give in to using the 85mm 1.8.

I was on ISO 6400 and 1/400 speed. I also used the temperature setting (around 3500) for the White Balance as the gray card just did not seem to do very good. All were ran through cropping, noise reduction, and sharpening.

To say the least it was not ideal lighting and I also had trouble finding much "action". I shot some of the boys games too. They had more action but I just did not get anything worth writing home about.

Thanks for looking,
Andy

griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:48 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I think these turned out very well in terms of the frozen action as well as the expression on the players' faces. Blurrier backgrounds would have been nice, but perhaps hard to achieve if you are closer to the action. My only recommendation would be to "warm" the color up a bit--everything looks a bit pale. Perhaps a temperature adjustment along with some increased saturatioin ought to do it. Then again, it could be my monitor.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
I think these turned out very well in terms of the frozen action as well as the expression on the players' faces. Blurrier backgrounds would have been nice, but perhaps hard to achieve if you are closer to the action. My only recommendation would be to "warm" the color up a bit--everything looks a bit pale. Perhaps a temperature adjustment along with some increased saturatioin ought to do it. Then again, it could be my monitor.
i don't think its your monitor. they look a little cool and flat to me as well.

nice job of stopping the action though, and you picked some pleasing images.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i don't think its your monitor. they look a little cool and flat to me as well.

nice job of stopping the action though, and you picked some pleasing images.
Thanks guys. I will go back an try to adjust some more. I really struggle with color balance. I agree they look a little pale but it is January so I thought that might be better than a sun tan. I will try some more adjustments. Thank you both very much.

Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 4:08 PM   #5

Andy,

I think you've got some great stuff here. But there is definitely some inconsistent color. A perfect example is shots 4 & 5. There's definitely a difference between the two shots. Go back to the original, unedited versions - what is different? Did you do different processing on them? Were you in auto WB instead of manual? Most look pretty good to me, color wise but a couple are definitely flat so I'm guessing something was different - either in your processing or in the exposure / white balance of the original shots.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote