Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:06 PM   #1

Default First Club Volleyball of the Season

My daughter's team had their first club tournament last weekend and I took a few shots - I spent more time watching than shooting on this one, but I did want to see about getting my exposures up based on feedback from a recent basketball thread. Here are my results (shot with Canon 50D, 70-200mm, 1/500, ISO 3200, f/2.8). Post process included sharpening, noiseware, cropping, and straightening, and a slight saturation bump. C&C Welcome!

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:01 PM   #2

You've got good exposures here and I like the framing. But it seems only #3 has a sharp face. There is noticable softness in the other faces. My first guess is that you've cropped them too much vs. framing so tightly in camera. If that's true you need to frame much tighter in-camera and not rely so much on cropping. Unfortunately I think too many shooters rely on number of MP - the problem is, in low light you just don't get accurate enough focus to be able to do that like you might be able to in good light outdoors.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:56 PM   #3

Hi John, thanks again for the constructive critique. I have really been working on framing tightly - especially when shooting basketball. For most of these volleyball shots, I was focusing on shooting defensive action (serve receive and digs) - so I was probably framing wider than I should - just to be sure to get the action since it move so quickly. Here are my crop factors on these shots:

1. 70% crop - wide side is 3367 px vs. 4752 out of camera
2. 66% - basically turned a vertical shot horizontal
3. 69%
4. 66%
5. 69%

So, with that level of cropping, should I be getting better results or do I really need to work on framing even tighter? Could I have a focusing issue with my camera/lens combination?

Again, thanks for the help - more volleyball coming up this weekend - the venue I'll be at is probably 1 stop darker than these, so I'll probably be using the 85/1.8..
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:07 AM   #4

My opinion is you need to be framing tighter - think 15% crops, not 69%. Tough with volleyball. It means you must anticipate where the ball is going and frame tightly on the player before the ball gets there - then you need work on your timing.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:25 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
My opinion is you need to be framing tighter - think 15% crops, not 69%. Tough with volleyball. It means you must anticipate where the ball is going and frame tightly on the player before the ball gets there - then you need work on your timing.
Could be wrong John but I think that he means it is 69% of the original so a 31% crop (I could be wrong - I often am).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:31 AM   #6

Thanks for the correction Mark. That makes sense. Still cropping double what you should be. Especially going down to partial body crops which highlights the facial features. I looked through one of my old galleries and really didn't find a lot of tight crops like that. I'm sure I've tried to crop down but I'm guessing I didn't like what I saw when I did it.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:32 AM   #7

You are right Mark, sorry for the confusion - math has never been my strong suit...