Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:34 PM   #1

Default Lots of Help Needed

Ok. Here is a picture I took. I know its terrible but I was wanting some help. If this picture was clear I would be fairly happy with it. I am using a Nikon D5000 with a Nikor 55-200mm lens f4-5.6. This shot is ISO 1600, 1/30s @ f4. Is it possible for me to get some clear action shots with this lens? I'm new to photography and I don't expect to get magazine-like results but would like to take some decent shots.

Thanks for your help and patience.

BP
Attached Images

wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:43 PM   #2

You're not going to get clear action shots with that lens without using flash. In addition the built-in flash is too weak to do a good job of stopping the action. So, you have a couple choices - use an external flash or get a new lens. Unfortunately since the camera does not have a focus motor, the lens of choice - Nikon 85mm 1.8 won't autofocus for you. There are a couple 50mm and 35mm lenses that will but 35mm is too short and 50mm is only good for about 15 feet.

Now - in your specific case, that exposure looks very good. Which means you're in a VERY dark gym. ISO 1600, 1/30 f4. If you shot at 3200 f2.8 you would only have 1/125 shutter speed - still too slow. I'm not sure I'd recommend ISO 6400 (I think your camera is capable). You'd need f1.8-f2.0 to get 1/250-1/320 at ISO 3200. And with only 50mm of reach that's not a very good investment IMO. Which means in your case external flash is probably the best bet. There are issues with using a flash but it's worth strong consideration.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:55 PM   #3

Thanks for your help. So Would I need to get a telephoto lens to do what I want since you said 50mm is only good from about 15 ft? I'm in the stands when I take the pics. I'm new to all of this and I don't even know if Nikon makes a lens for this camera that I need to get the results I want. I don't know how much a good external flash is either but I could probably get one.

Thanks
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:30 PM   #4

A good external flash that is not to pricey is the metz 48 af-1 output is about 147ft. It is about 200.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote