Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:09 AM   #1

Default Soccer pics

Well I thought that I would post some soccer pics and see what you all thought of them. I realize that they aren't all that good. But its a start. Please feel free to critique and offer criticism and any advice on how to improve. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:09 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Glad that you posted. There are many things that you can do to improve. Check out New to sports shooting and wonder if you can improve?!?! which will have some helpful information. Also get out of shutter priority this is completely the wrong setting for freezing action, you want to use aperture priority or preferably manual and set the widest aperture you have. Get the shutter speed to 1/800s or higher, rather than the 1/250s you had and you will be in a much better position.

There are other things to do but these will get you started on the right foot.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:09 AM   #3

I'll have to try shooting in manual mode next time. Hopefully the results will be better! Thanks for the tip.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:57 PM   #4

This is a good start. It fun to shoot these older kids - more action!

I tend to shoot manual with soccer but it does require more adjustments. I would really recommend trying AV mode first and shoot wide open as Mark suggested.

With the AV setting you will get various shutter speeds based on which way you point the camera. Aim it in the shade and speed decreases, back in the sun or toward the sun the shutter speed decreases. You can play around a little and see what the slowest speed is in the AV mode and increase your ISO until the slowest speed (when focusing on the shadows) is around 1/800 then the speed will increase when you swing back toward the sun. I mentioned the ISO last but if you are outdoors in bright sunlight I would start at ISO 100 and work from there going up as needed to keep the SS up to 1/800 or 1/100 [Edit: 1/1000] or more (especially for this age players - for 4 and 5 year olds the SS can be slower).

Read that thread for sure but a couple more quick comments,
1) Try shooting more in portrait orientation (rotating the camera 90 degrees) and frame the shot closer with less area on either side of the players.

2) Use so vertical clues like the light and fence posts to tilt the images more level in PP.

Keep shooting and posting more and again welcome.

Andy

Last edited by griffina6; Feb 1, 2010 at 10:38 PM.
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:22 PM   #5

I'll am looking forward to implementing your advice. I never realized that there was so much more to shooting sports. I guess the 'set it at 1/250 and forget it advice was a tad wrong.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:06 PM   #6

Hi & welcome to the Sports section!. Hope your enjoying Soccer shooting?, it is hard to master & very frustrating!!. I'll begin with a honest run through of you shots & then add me personal, honest assessment of settings etc (these a my personal views & not those expressed by the majority!).
#'s 1 & 5 appeare a little back focused (ie the sharp focus area is beyond the relative action!) a bit suprising as you shot @ F8?, unless there already cropped? if not I think they need a crop! to exclude none action space!. + horizons are out!
#2, again needs a crop but nice action!
#3, over exposed & again could do with a crop to just the player/ball!
#4 again horizons out & not cropped to exclude wasted space!
I'm viewing the EXIF & I see your shooting in Shutter priority?, I'd change this to Apature Priority & get the apature down to the F5.6/F4 to lessen the background sharpness & increase the shutter speed (this wants to be 500th minimum really!). You can do this by increasing the ISO as well from 200 to 400/640 which won't have a big impact on noise as long as you don't overcrop! Turn off the "High" contrast setting in camera too & adjust back to normal! set "sharpness" from soft to normal too!. I look forward to seeing more soccer pics soon. Kind regards Graham
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:23 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartheyeball View Post
I'll have to try shooting in manual mode next time. Hopefully the results will be better! Thanks for the tip.
I think you might have missed the link I posted as well as this covers a multitude of helpful things apart from shooting in manual (manual isn't the easiest when you have a lot else to worry about when starting out with sports shooting).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I think you might have missed the link I posted as well as this covers a multitude of helpful things apart from shooting in manual (manual isn't the easiest when you have a lot else to worry about when starting out with sports shooting).
I actually did check out the link you provided. I even cut and pasted the tips into a word document on my PC so that I could save it for future reference. =)
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman graham View Post
Hi & welcome to the Sports section!. Hope your enjoying Soccer shooting?, it is hard to master & very frustrating!!. I'll begin with a honest run through of you shots & then add me personal, honest assessment of settings etc (these a my personal views & not those expressed by the majority!).
#'s 1 & 5 appeare a little back focused (ie the sharp focus area is beyond the relative action!) a bit suprising as you shot @ F8?, unless there already cropped? if not I think they need a crop! to exclude none action space!. + horizons are out!
#2, again needs a crop but nice action!
#3, over exposed & again could do with a crop to just the player/ball!
#4 again horizons out & not cropped to exclude wasted space!
I'm viewing the EXIF & I see your shooting in Shutter priority?, I'd change this to Apature Priority & get the aperture down to the F5.6/F4 to lessen the background sharpness & increase the shutter speed (this wants to be 500th minimum really!). You can do this by increasing the ISO as well from 200 to 400/640 which won't have a big impact on noise as long as you don't overcrop! Turn off the "High" contrast setting in camera too & adjust back to normal! set "sharpness" from soft to normal too!. I look forward to seeing more soccer pics soon. Kind regards Graham
Those pictures were some of my first ever shooting soccer. Lol. I admit that they leave much to be desired. I live a few miles from a huge soccer complex they just built a few months ago. Hopefully I am looking to gain access when soccer season starts back here in a month or two to test out all the tips I've been getting. As for shooting shutter priority; at the time I was informed that shooting in shutter priority would be the best and I was a newbie so I went along with what I was told. I'll make sure to use aperture priority next time. =)
Old Feb 2, 2010, 3:17 PM   #10

I'd add that, unfortunately, the players in the black jerseys got lost in the dark backgrounds. Next time that happens, you might want to position yourself so you get a lighter background.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote