Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:19 PM   #1

Default Oulton Park UK

Well here's my very first pictures with my New 7D, I am very much an Amateur, Moved up from a 400D so This Camera has blown me away...

Let me know what you guys think, Please be gentle as its my first outing.

If you look carefully on the first Pic you can even see the heat haze from the exhaust, I'm well impressed with the 7D.

Name:  Oulton Park (2).JPG
Views: 125
Size:  88.1 KB
Name:  Oulton Park (13).JPG
Views: 135
Size:  78.9 KB
Name:  Oulton Park (14).JPG
Views: 145
Size:  105.7 KB
Name:  Oulton Park (36).JPG
Views: 139
Size:  112.8 KB

It was throwing it down with rain, Extremely windy but these guys carried on, I don't normally photograph Road Bikes, So it was an experience, Cant wait to take pics of the sport i love Motocross, More of my pics can be seen here.
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/4thGearPinned
warriorsoul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:23 PM   #2

Hiya! I think these are really great photos. For the last one, at least, have you thought of using a slightly slower shutter speed to show move (slight blur) in the tires... there is some... but this is just one thought. Nice colours!

All the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:34 PM   #3

Ned , Thanks for the comments, I am on a steep learning curve having jumped in at the deep end from a 400D to a 7D and 70-200mm 2.8 lens. some may say i have bitten off more than i can chew but i am one of those all or nothing kinda guys.
Sounds daft but i really don't understand shutter speed, Apertures, iso, so will open my arms to all constructive feedback, I am shooting with AV mode and trying out all settings, Very much an amateur. so any tips , tricks would be fantastic, please bear in mind my passion is motocross , The Motocross season starts in 2 weeks so this is wear i will be living at the weekends.
warriorsoul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:54 PM   #4

Oi, Warrior... you're certainly welcome... Not to worry about jumping in at the deep end, I'm certainly not going to give you any stick... You have an awesome camera!!! So, since you say you have a lot to learn, then why not use a great camera such as yours. Say, if you are really into Motocross, why not bone up on such things composition, such a using the system of thirds for composing a photo... learn what you can about shutter speed and all... my reason for mentioning this is that you will want to show real speed, action, clarity, colour and all.. the automatic features are great.. but it would be worth your while to learn the manual settings... so you will need to just get out there and shoot. By the way, I really like your first picture... It is great that in pictures one and two your back ground is blurred out some... again, this gives one the sense of speed... Anyway, you're off to a great start... I look forward to seeing more shots... take care and all the best.

Ned
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:31 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I think these compositions are very good--nice close ups of the bike and rider. I would recommend that you use a slower shutter speed and try your hand at panning. I think resulting motion blur of the background against a sharply defined rider will create a sense of motion that will make images such as this stand out. #1 and #3 have nice sharpness characteristics. FYI, I find panning to be a tough exercise...put your 7D on burst mode and hope that you get a few keepers!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Good work for a first time out.

In the 2nd photo you've just experienced what happens when the camera thinks things are too dark and it has over exposed. This is the problem with shooting Av (or Tv) where this is a lot of dark or light areas. If you can take some test shots to ensure correct exposure then switch to manual with the same settings. Keep an eye on the light and adjust as needed. As an example, at a recent horse event I knew that I needed to adjust exposure by 2/3 of a stop between to shooting angles so did so for each run.

Next has been mentioned is getting some motion blur. This is where Av really isn't the right mode as you are selecting the aperture rather than the shutter speed so you can't get it consistent and it makes learning much harder. Switch to Tv (if you are not feeling brave enough with manual for now) and play with shutter speeds from 1/80s to 1/500s. This will great for you to start learning how things vary. The lower the shutter the harder it is to get a good shot as panning needs to be more accurate. Now this is great for road bikes but much harder on the dirt as there are undulations to contend with so you need a higher shutter speed. If you are doing a lot of panning go with a monopod, this will help make things smoother and more consistent each time.

Although understanding the rule of thirds might be helpful so you know how to use it and how to break it, it's not usually ideal for sports work as you are framing tighter all the time.

So I think you can be very happy with where you are for now and there is a clear way forward too.

Lastly, as with basically all sports, getting a connection with the subject really helps so again this makes number 2 the weakest as you can't see the eyes. Like all rules/guides these can be broken, but in general they help.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:50 AM   #7

thanks, warrior soul. Enjoy motorcres, I understand you are new. . . Actually your camera. . . Ned
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:58 PM   #8

I mentioned the system of thirds, not as a hard and fast rule to apply in all pictures... but to better understand the basics of composition in general...

Warriorsoul, enjoy your good camera... no you are not daft in get a excellent tool to start with... guess some might debate that... but hopefully after Motorcres is past, you can get to know your camera better and how to use it. For now, enjoy it, use it and happy shooting. Hope to see more photos.

Ned