Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Yikes, no helmet??? Must hurt... anyway, still this is a great action capture... it must be very difficult to follow with a camera... the only comment I would make is to include the feet more into the picture. Ned
Thank you for your kind interest Ned. I think, that picture makes an example why helmets must be worn always : ) I shot it sponteneously while shooting my daughter and son at some other corner of the pitch, and wish the feet were included and the blocking railing wasn't there.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:13 AM   #12
Super Moderator

As promised, I came back and posted

Good to see some other TKD shots, I took some last month too Tae Kwon Do International Event in Egypt and it is great fun to capture the power and pain of this sport.

I'm impressed how well you did with the lower shutter speeds and not being able to get too close to the action. Personally I wouldn't even consider bouncing but use direct flash for the range you are looking at.

For me number 4 is the best capture, but they all go together well to give a full picture of TKD.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:16 PM   #13

ah, pain is nature's teacher
In truth it is important for students to gain an appreciation for how to control their power (it's much likelier that lower level students will cause an injury to someone in sparring because they lack the control). But, it's equally important that students learn to strike with power and learn what it is like to be struck with power. You have to be able to 'dial up' and 'dial back' that power meter. In my opinion having some controlled sparring WITHOUT pads is a good thing. But in today's litigious society that's not a good business decision. OK, off the theory of TKD, and on to the photos:

Kudos on some excellent captures here. You've got good colors and great timing. Sharpness is about as good as can be expected given lighting and equipment limitations. Very good stuff here. The axe kicks and high rounds make me dream of younger days when flexibility existed
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:41 AM   #14

@ Mark: Thank you for your kind appreciation, and also for bringing my attention on this worthy forum I have neglected for ages, by moving my post here (though I was inclined to feel offended first)
I shoud also say I quite enjoyed observing your pictures of TKD event. Watching that lady from Croatia, especially, must have been the very thing; such an implacable rival for others it seems!
As for the use of bounce flash. It requires doing homework well, that is; taking some test shots for various spots of the place tilting the flash head while playing around the iso, etc, you know, before the event. Ah and a powerful flash range of course.

.................................................. .................

@ JohnG: I appreciated the wise words coming from real practice owing to your background I remember from an earlier post of mine. Actually controlled sparring WITHOUT pads was more common when I practiced that sport twenty years ago. Ha ha, as you say; not a good decision, for today's world of simulation ; )
Thank you for letting me know about your positive opinions about my captures. Pentax 55-300 served well, indeed, considering the distance. A faster lens with larger aperture enabling one to use low iso, could have been better perhaps if I had been nearer to the event.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:53 PM   #15

Impressive work, given the limitations of the lighting there. Impressive coverage on the part of your flash unit, too.

Quote:
But that look in his eyes; certainly not good!
It's combat, after all. A little exultation at the moment of victory is healthy.

Quote:
but my wife wasn't willing to send the children any more after seeing the pictures and a few trivial bruises
My mother was always afraid of me wrestling, because I'd get scuffed up sometimes. She finally came to a match, but refused to look when I was on the mat.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 5:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
Impressive work, given the limitations of the lighting there. Impressive coverage on the part of your flash unit, too.
It's combat, after all. A little exultation at the moment of victory is healthy.
My mother was always afraid of me wrestling, because I'd get scuffed up sometimes. She finally came to a match, but refused to look when I was on the mat.
I'm so pleased to hear again from you my friend...I've been so buried in my works for the past five or six months to attend the forums regularly and read your enlivening comments.
Haha, yes I agree with your good comment on the boy's facial expression, now, that boy being my son actually, I wonder if a bit of exultation in the father's eyes could be as healthy : )
As for wrestling, looks like we went through similar paths as I was in the greco-roman wrestling team of my high school and had gave my mom a hard time!

Cheers,
Bahadir
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:02 PM   #17

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
I shot these pictures of 'end of training' session for the approaching competition from my seat heavily relying on the 100-300mm focal range of the 55-300 lens by the help of my Metz flash bouncing from the high roof of the sports arena!! My daughter and son were also there which made me say 'ouch' a few times. Yet, I must confess I could feel my blood boil with old memories!

Two Amazons helping each other put on safeguards! They are still in power in my hometown Izmir!

7. Ah, that one hurts! Still, struggled well against a black-red belt.

8. Another warrior is being prepared : )

12. Enjoyed an early knock out. But that look in his eyes; certainly not good!

bahadir, warrior,

Long time no see. Fine pictures. How about the cello practice. Of course the youth has the right to try out different activities

Learning a defence technique makes it easier to protect the good inside. Thanks

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Haha, yes I agree with your good comment on the boy's facial expression, now, that boy being my son actually, I wonder if a bit of exultation in the father's eyes could be as healthy : )
One would expect it of a warrior, no?
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 7:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
bahadir, warrior,

Long time no see. Fine pictures. How about the cello practice. Of course the youth has the right to try out different activities

Learning a defence technique makes it easier to protect the good inside. Thanks

Torgny
Haha warlike days are over for a family man married with two children, dear Torgny : )) Evey man could be a warrior and a lover by instinct though, as a poet whose name escapes me put it...(what you words reminded me also)
Thank you for dropping by with your kind words. I really missed the hours I spent observing each and every picture on the Landscape and Architectural Photos forums and writing sth, editing etc. as much as possible but have been caught up by the flow of life you know, ah, luckly, in which photography became a part : )

I also appreciated your words about defence technique, as much as your remembering my daughter's cello lessons. She's still having music lessons and enjoying playing a musical instrument, but she wanted to change it from cello to piano and I had to consent of course : )

.................................................. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
One would expect it of a warrior, no?
Enjoyed the 'Spartan' short response fitting you well my friend