Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:57 PM   #1

Default Joy of Taekwondo

I shot these pictures of 'end of training' session for the approaching competition from my seat heavily relying on the 100-300mm focal range of the 55-300 lens by the help of my Metz flash bouncing from the high roof of the sports arena!! My daughter and son were also there which made me say 'ouch' a few times. Yet, I must confess I could feel my blood boil with old memories!

Two Amazons helping each other put on safeguards! They are still in power in my hometown Izmir!

7. Ah, that one hurts! Still, struggled well against a black-red belt.

8. Another warrior is being prepared : )

12. Enjoyed an early knock out. But that look in his eyes; certainly not good!

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:11 AM   #2

Tuff lighting conditions and no flash shadows. Great colors. Amazing.
I like the dancing feet in #7.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:11 AM   #3

Indeed, you have captured some really neat shots in conditions that don't provide the best lighting... These are incredible shots! My son is into Taekwondo... we both were admiring your photos! Many thanks.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Tuff lighting conditions and no flash shadows. Great colors. Amazing.
I like the dancing feet in #7.
Thank you for your kind appreciation. Actually it was the flat and flashy looks with distracting shadows of direct flash which I tried to avoid.

Below is the high ceiling where I had the flash bounce (you can also see not all lights were on and the area where the flash bounced) The picture also shows my distance from the event, which reqired a focal length of 300mm in some shots.

Below is a book with a white cover and some stuff of mine on the seat next to me I just turned round and shot displaying how safe the method is once you get used to tilting the flash head (the light bouncing from the high ceiling again).

Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:00 AM   #5

Bahadir,
Like others have stated great sequence under some difficult conditions.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Indeed, you have captured some really neat shots in conditions that don't provide the best lighting... These are incredible shots! My son is into Taekwondo... we both were admiring your photos! Many thanks.

Ned
So happy to read the feedback from kindred spirits : ) My deepest regards to your son also. I'd love to see your pictures of his training (please notify me if I missed, since I cannot visit the forums as much as I could once!
Btw, I should confess I could not help but attend the training there once, commemorating the zest of old days....
I shot almost a hundred shots from my seat that day, like the one below, each of which came as good as the ones I submitted above. Ah, but my wife wasn't willing to send the children any more after seeing the pictures and a few trivial bruises

Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
So happy to read the feedback from kindred spirits : ) My deepest regards to your son also. I'd love to see your pictures of his training (please notify me if I missed, since I cannot visit the forums as much as I could once!
Your kind words forced me to laugh... not at you, but at myself. I know that you would "love to see [my] pictures"... at present, I have a Nokia mobile phone camera... I am going to buy Pentax K-7 soon... but for now I have used my Nokia phone. I have upload two pictures, you can do a sear "sun is coming back to Finland" and "teacherage"... there you will see my two uploads.

Many thanks for your kind comments, indeed. Always good to hear from you. And do continue sharing your photos, I am really pleased you are in the forum and enjoy the shots you share with us.

Well, tira and all the best.

Ned
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvin View Post
Bahadir,
Like others have stated great sequence under some difficult conditions.
Aloha
Dear Selvin, I'm delighted to receive your valued opinion! Having attended Steve's four years ago, I am, now, enjoying the equipment I've earned from photography : )

Last edited by bahadir; Mar 16, 2010 at 3:46 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:05 AM   #9
Super Moderator

I've just moved this into the sports section. I'm flying out the door but will comment later!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
, but my wife wasn't willing to send the children any more after seeing the pictures and a few trivial bruises

Yikes, no helmet??? Must hurt... anyway, still this is a great action capture... it must be very difficult to follow with a camera... the only comment I would make is to include the feet more into the picture. Ned