Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:30 PM   #1

Default Some from baseball

I went out and stretched the sigma 70-200 this afternoon.

These are downsized to be 600 on the longest, but i still have about 25 more to go through.

Jeff

Here is the link, rest should be up tonight.
http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/a...eball/3-30-10/
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:54 PM   #2

Hi PB, looks like some lovely light there! I've looked at the EXIF details but I can't find on yours the "AF focal point" data?. are you using just central or multi segmant? I ask because in all of them unfortunatley they are back or front focused ie the sharpness point is beyond or before the intended subject?
#1 is back focused (look at the dirt behind his L leg on the mound!)
#2 is front focused (look at the grass & dirt from his run!, sharper than the catchers face!)
#3 back focused again (look at the grass behind the player)
#4 this is the one that is almost there, but, your on the wrong side as you've just got backs!! (I always choose the wrong end/side so I know the frustration LOL).
If I knew what focusing mode your using I could perhaps give advice but in the end pesonally I'd set it to Central focus only, manual/AP &, if pos stop down to 3.5 as most lens's don;t work at there best wide open (not even the prime Nikon/canon big guns!). Kind regards Graham.
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:12 PM   #3

I used AF-l a bunch, it is hard focusing with d90, and getting the FPS you need, so i sacrificed slight oof for speed, i was only able to stay for 3 innings, so i needed some decent shots to give to the school, non are going to be printed, just going to be even more downsized and put on the sports page online.

Ill try and get some more in focus ones next week.

Jeff
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:04 AM   #4

They used another one of my pictures

What a good day

http://goargos.com/article.asp?articleID=3813
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
I used AF-l a bunch, it is hard focusing with d90, and getting the FPS you need, so i sacrificed slight oof for speed, i was only able to stay for 3 innings, so i needed some decent shots to give to the school, non are going to be printed, just going to be even more downsized and put on the sports page online.

Ill try and get some more in focus ones next week.

Jeff
Not sure what AF-I is, or is this AF-A? I would only shoot sports in AF-C and centrepoint for this sort of activity (or an alternate point if you want different composition).

it looks like you are trying to shoot far too far away with the 200mm, if you are not filling more than 2/3 the frame in portrait or basically top to bottom in landscape then you are too far away and you wont get good shots.

These are basically the max ranges for longer lenses (info supplied by JohnG).

200mm = 75 feet / 25 yards

300mm = 40 yards

400mm = 50-60 yards

At any level, I wouldn't include OOF/low quality shots, if people start seeing weak work (and you've done some good work) it can affect a reputation. This might not be an issue now, but I know you have aspirations of bigger things so why jeopardise these?

I hope John will spot these and chip in as he is used to shooting Baseball where as I never have so won't go into much detail on that side.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on next time.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:40 AM   #6

well im going to pick up a sigma 1.4X today, so ill have a 105-300 f4 i believe?

Thanks for the input, ill definitely keep it in mind for next week.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
well im going to pick up a sigma 1.4X today, so ill have a 105-300 f4 i believe?

Thanks for the input, ill definitely keep it in mind for next week.

Thanks,
Jeff
Nope 98 - 280 at f4, but it is going to be pretty soft at 280 f4 so I would drop to f5.6 and push the ISO a bit if you need to use that setting. Still 280 is a bit short for baseball unless you can get close.... hopefully you can.

I pinged a PM to John so hopefully he will jump in and give better advice than I've been able to.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:50 AM   #8

Unfortunately there's not much I can add. a 1.4x TC is the best you can do. Even 280mm is a bit short for baseball. If you're shooting from on the field then 300-400mm is good. But that's expensive.

My suggestion is that you set up your shot location and choose the types of shots you are going to take based upon the reach limitations. Accept the fact you won't be able to shoot good portion of the game from a given location and sit on action that comes within your range. But the over-cropping really does yield poor images. So don't get in the bad habit of relying on it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:45 PM   #9

Sounds good, and im a cropped body, but i doubt that helps too much :/

what shots do you recommend? I have been going through getty to get a feel for it, but some of those guys are rocking 400 2.8's

thanks,
jeff
Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:50 PM   #10

Jeff - you can't use Getty as a guide. They're using 400s and even 500 or 600s. You can't duplicate the shots because you don't have the focal length. so it's a bit different than what Mark was talking about for tennis. What shots you take depends on where you can shoot from. It's simple geometry - from your shooting position you have about 100-120 foot arc with your 280mm lens.

Of course, the other way to gain experience is to shoot a lower level of play where you have smaller fields and more access. The real down side is that in baseball that means a significant drop off in the shot selection because of the level of play.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote