Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 13, 2010, 3:17 PM   #1

Default Some soccer pics from Sweden! My first outdoor soccer shoots!

One of my sons were playing 2 training matches this weekend. I took some shots. Im new to shooting soccer and sports, so it was a challenge. Im pretty happy with these, but I will train and train to improve. And keep on reading this forum.
My son is the one with the white cap.
Best regards/Daniel

DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:10 PM   #2

I've never shot any sport before, but I really like #3!! Maybe a little more reach would be good? But there are so many fantastic sports shooters here at Steve's - I'm sure you'll get all the help you need!

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:17 PM   #3

Hi Daniel. Welcome to the sports forum. I think you're off to a great start here. Perfect timing on that first shot. Well done. Here are some things to think about next time you're out:
first - get out of shutter priority mode. It's the last mode you should use. The problem with it is - using it closes down the aperture. You've got shots at f8 here - no good reason to do that. The majority of shots have too much depth-of-field. Part of the reason is using a narrower aperture (higher f-number) than needed. If you're not comfortable shooting in manual exposure, switch to aperture priority and leave the lens wide open.

The second problem is - 135mm is way, way too short of a lens. You're going to have to save your pennies so you can afford a longer lens - you need it so you can fill the frame with your subject AND so you can get a shallower depth of field - so more of the background is out of focus.

to that end, on with feedback on shots:

Overall exposures look good, colors look good. So nice job there.

shot 1: wonderful timing. perfect. Shot has too much dead space though and background is distracting.

shot 2: not much interesting in the shot. shot 1 was the keeper this one is too far from peak action

shot 3: nice expression and good framing. Try to get him a little closer to the ball next time. Also the background on this is distracting - here's where you need to use longer focal length and wider aperture to decrease DOF and blur the background more.

shot 4: too far from the ball. 3 is the keeper out of these two.

shot 5: a bit akward. no faces and not much action - need a shot a split second later so someone is actually doing something. But, you need a face to make it interesting. Unfortunately that's a tough part of shooting soccer - even if they're close enough to shoot sometimes the lack of a face ruins an otherwise good opportunity. Again - backgrounds are an issue - the fence and car are distracting.

shots 6-9: action is simply too far away. players fill up way to small a portion of the frame.

OK, so you're probably like most people and not made of money. So you might have to get by with the kit lens for a little while. The key is to shoot within it's limitations. First - set it at 135mm and don't zoom out. Next, shoot in portrait orientation. For this level there isn't a lot of slide tackles. And with a short focal length you're not going to get good partial body sportrait shots, so 90% of the subject matter will be more vertical than horizontal. Next, don't shoot anything that doesn't fill up 2/3 of the vertical portion of the frame. So you have to wait for action to get really close. probably about 15 yards or so. Sure it's less shots and sure you'll miss action. But the shots you DO come away with will be higher quality.

Again, nice start and welcome to the sports forum!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
I've never shot any sport before, but I really like #3!! Maybe a little more reach would be good? But there are so many fantastic sports shooters here at Steve's - I'm sure you'll get all the help you need!
Thank you.
Yeah I would really want a little more reach, but I think I have to have another position when shooting to get the action.
Best regards/Daniel
Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Hi Daniel. Welcome to the sports forum. I think you're off to a great start here. Perfect timing on that first shot. Well done. Here are some things to think about next time you're out:
first - get out of shutter priority mode. It's the last mode you should use. The problem with it is - using it closes down the aperture. You've got shots at f8 here - no good reason to do that. The majority of shots have too much depth-of-field. Part of the reason is using a narrower aperture (higher f-number) than needed. If you're not comfortable shooting in manual exposure, switch to aperture priority and leave the lens wide open.

Again, nice start and welcome to the sports forum!
Hello John!
Thank you for taking the time to look at my photos and to write down all those tips and trix.
I have shot with 55-200VR lens. Although, at 200mm the photos is way to soft.
I have started to use manual mode, and Im starting to feel comfortable with it, so I will try that in the next match.
I will also try your other tips.
If I understand you correctly, the photos I will try to get are the ones like the first and the third photo? But to get them more cropped?
Anyway, and again, thank you for taking the time commenting on my photos. It means alot to me, since I really want to learn and get better in shooting sports. As you said, money is an big issue to me. I will try to safe for better lenses. Do you have any tips on what lenses to save up for? I know Nikon 70-200f2,8VR is a great lens, but its way to expensive to me right now. I was thinking of getting the Nikon 70-300vr and the Sigma 70-200f2,8 but I have heard that the af on the sigma lens is too slow?
Also, would you recommend me to have the VR turned on or off when shooting sports?
Take care and best regards/Daniel
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:13 AM   #6

The sigma 70-200 2.8 is a very fast focusing lens. It's a great alternative to the Nikon. It is the Tamron 70-200 2.8 that is slow to focus.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 2:23 PM   #7

Agree that the Sigma works really well for sports. Adding a 1.4 or 2 x convertor will give you much better reach - almost half the field (with a bit of cropping still necessary.) without adding too much to the cost.

I generally only take shots when facing the play, ie if you want shots of the offence near the goal, stand behind the endline, not at center. I only stand at center (or closer to my team's goal) if I want to take shots of defence or the keeper.

Kevin
KevinLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
The sigma 70-200 2.8 is a very fast focusing lens. It's a great alternative to the Nikon. It is the Tamron 70-200 2.8 that is slow to focus.
Thanks John.
I think I will have to save for this lens then.
Best regards/Daniel
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLF View Post
Agree that the Sigma works really well for sports. Adding a 1.4 or 2 x convertor will give you much better reach - almost half the field (with a bit of cropping still necessary.) without adding too much to the cost.

I generally only take shots when facing the play, ie if you want shots of the offence near the goal, stand behind the endline, not at center. I only stand at center (or closer to my team's goal) if I want to take shots of defence or the keeper.

Kevin
Thanks for the tips.
Best regards/Daniel