Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:15 PM   #11

here is the damage
Attached Images

Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:26 AM   #12

I donīt think these pics are that bad considering your equipment. I think you did a good job with what you had.
Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSProtection View Post
I donīt think these pics are that bad considering your equipment. I think you did a good job with what you had.
Best regards/Daniel
thank you.
i tried to use my fastest lens (50mm f1.8) but found myself not being able to get good framing of any action shots. probably my lack of experience. so i used my kit lens for the most part.
oh well, its all a fun learning experience.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:32 AM   #14

i think ya did pretty good too ronin for your first time ..i know i get frustrated with my camara too but its all about learning and thats why i dont post to many pic;s yet...lol but we'll get-r-done sooner or later...lol..
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby View Post
i think ya did pretty good too ronin for your first time ..i know i get frustrated with my camara too but its all about learning and thats why i dont post to many pic;s yet...lol but we'll get-r-done sooner or later...lol..
hehe, i dont mind posting at all. i'd rather have somebody yell at me and correct me then waste my time and shutter clicks with crappy shots
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:56 AM   #16

exif has been stripped from the photos so it's difficult to suggest settings you could have tried. If you could specify what your settings were for these photos (shutter, aperture, iso, focal length, focus mode, which focus points you used, flash settings, etc...) that would help.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
exif has been stripped from the photos so it's difficult to suggest settings you could have tried. If you could specify what your settings were for these photos (shutter, aperture, iso, focal length, focus mode, which focus points you used, flash settings, etc...) that would help.
JohnG i can see the exif on 3 of 4. looks like the forum resized the top right one and stripped the data from that only.
If you are using firefox, you can use this plugin https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5673
works great for me
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:34 PM   #18

ronin,

It is not a bad set giving the equipment you had, and actually I think you did quite well with the lens and equipment you have
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:27 PM   #19

one thing i learned today playing with my camera and metz 48 flash is that i could have gotten higher speeds than 1/200 if i would have used HSS
IF i would have known that at the time of course
maybe that would have helped me freeze the action better. oh well there is always the next time.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin2307 View Post
one thing i learned today playing with my camera and metz 48 flash is that i could have gotten higher speeds than 1/200 if i would have used HSS
IF i would have known that at the time of course
maybe that would have helped me freeze the action better. oh well there is always the next time.
Actually, HSS is best used OUTDOORS when the flash is being used as fill. It dramatically cuts down on the range of a flash. The key to stopping action with flash is NOT high shutter speed - it's having a camera's exposure lower than ambient - by about two stops. A flash burst is anywhere from 1/1000 - 1/4000 of a second. By having the camera's exposure about 2 stops below ambient, even if the shutter is open 1/100 there simply isn't enough light let in for a proper exposure - accept when the flash is firing. So there really is only 1/1000-1/4000 of time when there is enough light to record a proper exposure.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote