Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:58 AM   #1

Default High School Tennis

I haven't been out much this spring, but got to shoot some high school tennis yesterday. It was a beautiful day, but the tennis action wasn't great. Here is a sample (C&C most welcome):

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:19 AM   #2

nice shots. Only advice is on the third shot you want to be lower. Standing while shooting across court can be good. But right from the side like that, try to get a bit lower so you're not shooting down on your subject. Other than that, this is a good job!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:44 AM   #3

Thanks for the feedback John. Good advice as always...
Old Apr 22, 2010, 5:43 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I like the shots.... don't forget though you can frame a lot tighter in tennis.... but you will lose more..... but they will be stunning when you get them so worth practicing.... but.... but LOL. Honestly it is worth a try, and by framing tighter (either using the longer focal lengths or being closer to the subject) you will be reducing the dof so the backgrounds will be even more out of focus.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:13 PM   #5

Thanks for the comments Mark. I was wishing for longer glass the whole time I was there. Using the 70-200mm just didn't give me enough length shooting outside the fence from the opposite side of the court. Then when I tried shooting on the side, I was too close and felt like a distraction (plus I could only cover one court). Ah, the trials and tribulations....
Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:32 PM   #6

Jason,
I don't see many tennis shots but these are nice. I have not tried to shoot any tennis myself but would like to try.

Did you shoot through the fence in the first three? If so they really do look good and the seem pretty tight to me or are these cropped a little extra?

I would think the 70-200 would be a perfect lens for tennis. If not, what would the optimal reach be and would it work well with the 70-200 and 1.4x?

Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:01 PM   #7

Hey Andy, I think the 1.4x might be perfect for tennis. I was shooting outside through the fence on the far side and zoomed all the way out to 200mm, the player took up about 80% of the horizontal frame. Vertical frame, probably less than half. So, for full body, full action shots, the 200mm worked fine, but as Mark suggested, framing tighter will get better results. #1 and #2 are cropped from horizontal to vertical (so - 33%?), #3 is about a 10-15% crop.