Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:34 AM   #1

Default Indoor Soccer

Okay here are some pics I snapped of an indoor soccer tourney. I used my Nikon D70s and 85mm 1.8 lens. ISO was set @ 1600 and White balance was auto. Out of all the pictures I snapped they basically all were crap. I have a long way to go. Even thought these pics are in my opinion garbage, I am gonna post them anyway. Please C&C. Be as harsh as possible on what I can improve upon. I know that I definitely need some decent lenses. I have much in need to improve upon. Since there were no sidelines, I had to shoot the images from the corners of the courts. FWIW.

Last edited by Dartheyeball; Apr 29, 2010 at 5:51 AM.
Dartheyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2010, 6:03 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartheyeball View Post
Okay here are some pics I snapped of an indoor soccer tourney. I used my Nikon D70s and 85mm 1.8 lens. ISO was set @ 1600 and White balance was auto. Out of all the pictures I snapped they basically all were crap. I have a long way to go. Even thought these pics are in my opinion garbage, I am gonna post them anyway. Please C&C. Be as harsh as possible on what I can improve upon. I know that I definitely need some decent lenses. I have much in need to improve upon.
Don't be too down on yourself, shooting sports is not nearly as easy as everyone imagines as there is a lot going on very quickly. Added to that each sport is a different technique/angle needed/timing etc so that just adds to the difficulty. I've been shooting sports since 2006 and if I've been away for a while it takes some time to get back up to speed with that sport.

OK, your main difficulty is the body, You really need a camera that will give good ISO 3200 shots or preferable 6400 in these sorts of conditions. That is going to help a lot. Putting more into glass if you are going to shoot indoors won't help until you have the body for it.

A D700 and 70-200mm f2.8 would be a lovely combo as something to aim for (well until the D700 replacement is out).

To help with noise you need to make sure you nail exposure, all of these are looking a little dark (I think, my calibrator isn't plugged in and I've moved locations so it could be my screen). If you don't nail exposure with high ISO then trying to get it back will really hurt in terms of noise in the shadow and even mid tones.

Now to the shots. If possible, you want to be low, like sitting, or assuming there is a barrier then shooting just over the top of it. That will give the most pleasing angle. This good old thread of mine will hopefully give some pointers for sports, just remember if you are indoors the light is really not on your side.

You've captured the ball in every shot, that's key so good start there. In each shot you are looking for certain things, which are emotion, action, power, contact, competitiveness. We have to convey in a still image what is happening and usually only seen moving at 1x real life. Knowing where these moment are will only come with practise, but you will get more keepers and shoot less non interesting ones the more you try.

#6 has potential, but they are a little far apart from each other. This highlights another problem. It's much easier to get good photos at higher levels of play in nearly every sport, as technique, passion, flair are greater. I used to shoot a lot of field hockey covering a local national division team. I also covered their lesser teams to increase sales, however it was rare that I would get as many interesting or good shots from these lower games.

Out of the batch #8 is the best, exposure is what has let you down here as well as a bit of the framing, but you do have the action and you are in a lower position which is great.

Last thing to remember, if shooting with the 85mm then don't try to shoot much over 25ft away as you are just going to get soft images that need cropping too much. 25ft is not just because of your camera but simply a limitation of that length lens.

Keep at it and let us know how you get on.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:37 AM   #3

Thanks for the tips and advice! Hopefully more opportunities present themselves so that I can get more experience shooting soccer.