Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 3, 2010, 10:36 AM   #1

Default Indoor Soccer pic

After going through a ton of the other pics I took of a an indoor soccer game, I found this one. I wanted to submit it for c&c. Be as harsh as possible. Thanks for your time. Hopefully by the end of the summer, I'll be upgraded to a newer Dslr.

Old May 3, 2010, 10:55 AM   #2

Well, nice timing - captured good expressions and good action. Shot is framed nice and tight which is also good. It's still a bit underexposed. For whatever reason, my EXIF viewer isn't seeing the ISO value used. So, that hurts it a bit. Additionally you've got a bit more motion blur than I'd like. And, as you are already aware, the noise is fairly bad. If you're going to be doing this type of shooting, you want to be sure you're happy with the ISO 6400 performance of your next DSLR - as I'm assuming this was shot at 3200.

So you did a lot of things well. If you made a CONSCIOUS choice to underexpose to keep shutter at 1/320 I can understand that. If, however, the decision was not a conscious one then you'll want to pay more attention to exposures going forward. You want faces looking nice and bright:
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 2:09 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply! ISO was 1600. The D70s only goes up to 1600. =( I am going to be shooting outdoor games so hopefully the results will be better than this. The noise in all of these shots was pretty bad like you said. I was looking at the Nikon D300 and D700 as suitable replacements.
I am starting to see the camera is really a weak link versus the lenses. Man the D700 is ultra expensive, it might be worth it.

Thanks again!
Old May 4, 2010, 12:48 PM   #4

Hi Dartheyball, before commiting all that money to a D700 please remember it is a FX (full frame) camera as apposed to a DX (1.5 crop factor) which your D70 & incidently so is the D300. This will mean you will be shooting at a lot shorter distances ie your 85mm IS 85mm on a D700 but equates to a 127mm on the D70, this will mean you'll deffo need even longer glass as well?. Kind regards Graham.

Last edited by bluesman graham; May 4, 2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: crap grammer
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 3:38 PM   #5

After checking out prices, its looking like a D300 is what I am going to aim for. That along with perhaps an 80-200 2.8 lens. =)
Old May 4, 2010, 5:20 PM   #6

In addition to what the others said, the right players leg is hidden behind the other guys leg giving the appearance of only three legs. A half second earlier, later, or a step to the left or right would have improved the picture. Good eye contact, definitely picks up the intensity.
2morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 11:53 PM   #7

I find indoor soccer very hard to shoot. Looks like you're in a gym at least - slightly better lighting. Here, I have to shoot in converted hockey rinks where the lighting was marginal when you had the ice reflecting some light, but with the turf, it's really dim. Usually shooting through glass or netting as well and with bad angles - never able to get endzone shots for the good shots of faces.

So from my point of view, hard to criticize any indoor soccer shot.

Kevin
KevinLF is offline   Reply With Quote