Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 21, 2010, 3:52 AM   #1

Default Gym pics! Please tell me what you think about them!

Took some shots of my bonus son when he was working out in the gym. The lightning situation in the gym is really bad but I think I nailed them pretty good. Please let me know what you think about them. Is there anything I can do different to get them better?

Best regards/Daniel

DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2010, 9:28 AM   #2

Daniel,

I am not real sure what to say as I have not seen these type photos before and am really far removed form the sport/activity of body building/weightlifting.

But I will offer my thoughts.

The first one seems underexposed and is too dark especially around the eye socket. In PP maybe increase the exposure which will introduce noise and then use NR.

In 2 and 4 I feel like I am not sure what his is doing or holding onto. But again i am not familiar with this type of photos.

In 3 i can see the weights but maybe it would be better if they were not clipped off at the bottom.

Other post processing ideas - Have you tried using any USM and/or levels adjustments to help him stand out more.

I have a gym membership but go very seldom. Need to get back to it!

Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 12:59 PM   #3

Thanks for your thoughts.

Best regards/Daniel
Old May 21, 2010, 1:49 PM   #4

shot 3 is the best IMO. I like shot 1 concept but again a bit underexposed - especially with the background so well lit. That shot would have been a great MOOD shot if the background were dark.

Shot 2 doesn't do much for me. The eyes are a bit soft and since there's not much going on, the facial expression/eyes would be the most interesting.

shot 4 again - not much going on as far as an interesting subject. The light to the left is distracting, the weight pile isn't very interesting - even if he were moving more weight, a weight pile just isn't interesting - not the same as a bar/weights during a power lift say. Face again looks a tad soft and not a compelling subject. All in all, shots 1 and 3 have some interest for their presentation but 2 and 4 from the concept of a sports shot really don't work well for me.

Also of note - the background really isn't an interesting weight room. So if you were going to do this type of shoot again, I might suggest a lighting /flash setup that would have the light from above and concentrated so the fall-off put the background more in shadow.

Just my opinion.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 4:14 PM   #5

Thanks for your input John.
Always great to learn from you.

Best regards/Daniel