Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 29, 2010, 12:03 PM   #1

Default Snake Alley Criterium 2010

Today I took my daughter to watch the annual bike racing in our little town. This is my first time shooting this stuff, so feel free to CC.
I posted 14 pics on flickr but i will only include a few here. If you would like, you can certainly check the rest out and feel free to leave comments.
thx

The guy in the last picture totally did not want to climb the Snake Alley Hill

Old May 29, 2010, 4:28 PM   #2

I don't think any of them are bad, but the first one is definitely my favorite. To get the spokes that sharp what speed were you shooting?
2morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 10:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2morrow View Post
I don't think any of them are bad, but the first one is definitely my favorite. To get the spokes that sharp what speed were you shooting?
not sure why the exif data is missing on these. didnt do anything diff than what i always do with flickr.
anyway, it is ISO200 140mm f/5.0 1/1600sec

btw, thank you kindly for your comment

Last edited by ronin2307; May 29, 2010 at 10:46 PM.
ronin2307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 10:57 PM   #4

Default a few more

just a couple of more... first one a panning attempt... not sure what to think of it but i kind of like it since the middle two guys are decently frozen and the rest is pretty blurry..
the second on is the bottom up view of the snake alley street they had to climb. well, a partial view at least

Old May 30, 2010, 7:10 AM   #5

Panning on a group is tough. They're all crossing your angle of view at different rates. The guy in the middle (with the yellow on the helmet) looks good but none of the rest are quite as sharp. I like all your shots, but I think I'd have used a slower shutter speed so as to get some motion blur on the spokes.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 8:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Panning on a group is tough. They're all crossing your angle of view at different rates. The guy in the middle (with the yellow on the helmet) looks good but none of the rest are quite as sharp. I like all your shots, but I think I'd have used a slower shutter speed so as to get some motion blur on the spokes.
yeah i really didnt know where my shutter speed should be for panning. I read about it a bit before but never truly paid attention. ironically after i came back home i got to a chapter in Scott Kelby's book (Digital Photography Vol 2 I believe) which claims that shutter speed for panning should be about 1/250.

However, the truly frozen ones were not an attempt at panning. that was deliberate, since i was afraid i would get blurry, non-panning pictures.

Still, thank you kindly for your advice.