Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jun 18, 2010, 9:43 PM   #1

Default Baseball - keep your eye on the ball

We go from soccer one day to baseball the next.
Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:12 AM   #2

Mike,

Glad to see a new sports poster. I would suggest you need to pick a subject. For starters, showing a players butt like the batter in the first shot isn't a very appealing subject. If your subject is the catcher, you want to be focused in a LOT tighter on shot 1. for example:

For a shot like #2 you need to get the ball in the frame - tough job to do!

Shot 3 there's just too much blur in the catcher and there really is no subject - batter is barely visible. In all 3, the umpire really doesn't add anything to the image. Sports shooting is as much about REMOVING distracting elements as it is about your subject. You also have to make sure you have a subject - but you have to PLAN for that as well. You can't photograph a sport like you watch it. You have to anticipate a certain type of action and frame tightly on where that action is - or in the case of shots at the plate - where it WILL BE. Keep at it. Sports shooting isn't easy but you'll get better every time you get and incorporate feedback,
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:21 PM   #3

I'll be shooting a tourny in a few weeks with one or two family members in it. If they're playing field, ok, I'll stand on the side nearest with an angle on their front. If they're pitching, no sweat. But batting will be tough.

They'll be up more than a few times over 3 days so I'll have a chance to review the shots. First day, I'm planning to squat near 1st or 3rd (depending what side they play) and do 3 or 4 shot bursts as they swing. I can vary things, but what would be a good shutter speed to start with? It'll be daylight, let's say real bright, should I pick up an ND filter? Any suggestions are welcome.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:42 PM   #4

Thanks JohnG for the input. Would you solve some of these problems by cropping or would you just tighten up and hope to catch the action?
Mike
Old Jun 20, 2010, 6:35 PM   #5

Mike - solve the faming issue by framing tighter. Especially with a catcher. Practice for an inning or two if need be.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote