Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:03 AM   #1

Default HELP Ice Hockey Photography

I play Ice Hockey and because of that have a few connections to the local teams, in the past a few people have asked me to do some shoots for them at practise but i've never really been confident enough in my skills or with the equipment i've got to do it.

I'm currently using a Canon EOS 400D and only have a 18-55mm & a 90-300mm lens (with hood)

The lighting in the rink I go to is really bad in comparison to other rinks so that plays against me aswel.

I'm very much a beginner at this but very keen to learn. I've been asked to go down to the next rec team's training session on friday evening, if anyone's got any pointers they can throw my way i'll be more than willing to listen and share my results.

Thankyou
rachel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:31 AM   #2

You won't be able to do much with the lenses you've got. To shoot sports, you need fast shutter speeds. To shoot sports indoors, you need large apertures and/or high ISO settings to compensate for the fast shutter speeds. The maximum apertures on the lenses you've got, aren't large enough, and your 400D's ISO can only go as high as 1600.

To get anything reasonably good, you'll need a large aperture lens like Canon's 85/1.8 USM or 100/2.0 USM, and maybe even the Canon 135/2.0 USM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:38 AM   #3

TCav is correct. Low light sports photography is VERY equipment intensive. And, shooting with the prime lenses TCav mentioned adds even more to the challenge because you don't have flexibility of a zoom. Lighting in most rec center rinks is going to be pretty poor, so unfortunately the suggested lenses are the only way to go with your current camera body. We can give some tips for how to shoot after you make arrangements to at least rent a lens. But in all honesty, it's wasted typing if you're not going to have the proper lens to do the job. Sorry for the bad news - trust me, I wish it were easier to shoot low light sports.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 4:24 AM   #4

thanks for the comment guys, i'll be looking into getting some new lens as soon as funds permit
rachel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel9 View Post
thanks for the comment guys, i'll be looking into getting some new lens as soon as funds permit
i'm in the same boat ! i shoot my kids playing and the lense i'd like is 2000.00 .Not really justifyable , however it was suggested to me(on here) to rent one. I did find out there is a photo store(local to me) that does rent them ,so when the time comes i will do that
jmp2204 is offline   Reply With Quote