Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jul 4, 2010, 3:38 AM   #1

Default English Cricket

Hi, here's a few pics from this weekends game. Graham.

bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:34 PM   #2

Hi all, this isn't a "why's no one commenting" pitch rather a genuine enquiry as to Cricket!. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've posted this sport & had very little, (none in some cases), responce?. I would be greatful if you American posters, (which to be honest makes up 99%), would be truthful and say "stop bloody posting these as none of it makes any sence!" This would save me & you time & stop me adding any to a Pholo i'm building for SS. I shoot pro Soccer in a month or so & I can' show you that either!!! (due to Dataco rules)
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:38 PM   #3

I enjoy seeing something different, but i dont know much about the sport to comment on how well the action is captured, or what is going on period. Im going to do some research so ill have some background info for your next set

jeff
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:41 PM   #4

Wow trying to read this is like watching wackbat (game off of the fantastic mr fox movie)
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:33 PM   #5

I look at them, and understand them Graham. However I am not yet a good enough photographer to offer any tips, like the fellow who comments on the sports journalism aspects of other sports shown on the forum.

I am just in awe of the fact that they are sharp and have captured the action without any blurring. Sometimes I wonder just where you were standing to get the shots though.

Bernice
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:38 PM   #6

I studied cricket all day.... It all makes sense now....

Maybe try to get one with the ball closer to the bowler, barley leaving his hand...

If i were shooting id try to get one of the wicket being broken, or some nice fielding catches.

Ill keep up with your shots now
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:35 AM   #7

On more than one occasion, people have asked if I knew there was a great cricket player from Australia with my exact name. The first time I heard that was well over 25 years ago and I hate to admit I've still not read up much on the rules of the game, but I do like the stills people capture from a match, so I need to just sit down for a couple of hours and learn the darn sport.

If I happen to see a match going on television I often stop and watch it for several minutes even thought I don't know what the blazes is happening. There's a lot of great expressions in your images and it looks like it has a lot of opportunities as a sport to photograph.

Unfortunately, like so many forums here, this seems to be a very lightly visited area and many posts go completely unresponded to, or just have one or two responses from regulars who keep things moving.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 6, 2010 at 10:41 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:22 PM   #8

Thank you very much for your insight guys I guess it's a very required taste. Kind regards Graham.

Bernice, just keep posting your pics, I have my fair share of OOF pics too believe me!!. These where "pitch side" but still a fair way off as the playing area is quite large.

Greg, it'll take more than a couple of hours.

Jeff, congrats on tackling the rules. Damn complicated isn't it!. but I guess Baseball is to me too. I have my fair share of wicket skittle shots but the papers rarley want these for some reason. Getting the ball just leaving the bowlers hand can be easy if he's a spin bowler but damn hard when he's a fast bowler! Here's one of the same fast bowler in #5 is this better for you?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 4:46 PM   #9

perfect minus the "umpire"?

hmm i wonder why they dont fancy wicket skittles...
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:53 AM   #10

Hi Jeff, I guess it's because you can just about guarentee that there could be, on paper, up to 20 in a match!!!. Removing the batsman after all is the nature of the game!, true there are catches, LBW & run outs but if there's a decent bowler then the wickets do tumble!. The Umpires positioned there to make sure that A, the bowler doesn't break any rules & B, to determain the batter hasn't unlawfully stopped a bowler hitting the wicket with his back leg which is LBW (leg before wicket) & any other rule discrepancies. oh and he holds the hats , jumpers etc for the bowlers too if asked. Kind regards Graham.