Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jul 5, 2010, 8:28 PM   #1

Default Skate.

Skate. (Terrible Quality)
Attached Images

NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:31 PM   #2

I still can't get any EXIF data from your images. How are you preping them for uploading here?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I still can't get any EXIF data from your images. How are you preping them for uploading here?
I upload the photos to my computer but the images are like 4MB each which is too large for this forum so I put it in gimp and re-sample and re-save JPEG and yeah. Oh btw this picture is terrible quality because I copy and pasted in MS paint.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 7:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlashPhotography View Post
Skate. (Terrible Quality)
OK - gotta ask, if you recognize the quality is bad, why are you posting the shot? Are you looking for tips and advice? If so, it's good to state that in your post. And, if that's the case, I'll start by asking: you recognize the shot isn't very good - what is it about the shot that could be better.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
OK - gotta ask, if you recognize the quality is bad, why are you posting the shot? Are you looking for tips and advice? If so, it's good to state that in your post. And, if that's the case, I'll start by asking: you recognize the shot isn't very good - what is it about the shot that could be better.
No I love the shot that's why I posted it but the way I saved it the quality got all pixelated.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:45 PM   #6

OK, now I understand - you don't like the pixelation. Got it. Now, about the shot, here are my thoughts: The timing is good. But you're way too far away. The railing, ramp and rider are the story but they fill up a tiny portion of the frame - there are way too many distracting elements left. Additionally you're looking down on the rider. This has 2 problems:
1) it prevents us from seeing his face very well. Faces are extremely important
2) It reduces the impact of the height of the maneuver. You want to be shooting UP not down - that helps amplify the impact of the height involved. There are a few sports where shooting down on the subject can work well - this isn't one of them.

I would suggest you could improve this exact type of shot greatly by shooting it down next to the ramp from a sitting or laying down position (a couple feet back for safety reason). Which side would be chosen by which way the rider will face - so in this case on the grass side so you could get his face in the shot.

Keep at it!

But don't get down. You're just starting out trying to shoot sports and you've got a lot of time to learn and experiment.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 4:16 PM   #7

Now, skateboarding is not a sport I shoot. But I believe you learn a lot by seeing photos others have done of your sport. In the interests of you seeing such photos and getting advice to help you shoot skate, here are some threads on another site which I think will be more beneficial than the advice we can give you here since as far as I know it's a fairly inexperienced skateboard shooting crowd here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/top...=skate#8319528
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Now, skateboarding is not a sport I shoot. But I believe you learn a lot by seeing photos others have done of your sport. In the interests of you seeing such photos and getting advice to help you shoot skate, here are some threads on another site which I think will be more beneficial than the advice we can give you here since as far as I know it's a fairly inexperienced skateboard shooting crowd here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/top...=skate#8319528
Thanks for the advice, yes this park was not in my town it was in West Bank, and I was sitting on a hill and decided to take this photo. I guess it is pretty bad ahaha. I have better photos of my friends btw.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:40 PM   #9

I just uploaded 2 way better photos with the EXIF data and x20 better quality.