Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:03 AM   #1

Default Boating Pics

These are some vacation pics. I just have a kit lens and am still learning my camera but I thought they came out pretty well for me and especially for the unstable footing in the boat. Any suggestions or critiques are welcome. Thanks
Attached Images

wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:07 AM   #2

what did you shoot these shots with?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:10 AM   #3

I shot them with a Nikon D5000 with a 55-200 4-5.6 lens. I wish they were sharper but I don't know if I need a better lens or if it's just me. Shooting in a moving boat is harder than I thought too!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:12 AM   #4

You will need a faster focusing lens, also did you use all 11 AF points
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:15 AM   #5

I pretty much used the sports mode. I tried taking some with a higher shutter speed but they came out way overexposed. So with that being said I guess I don't know how to use all 11 AF points. Any suggestions and also any lense suggestions that won't break my bank account?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:21 AM   #6

default is all 11 points. That can cause focusing error with shots that have allot going on.

It looks to me it is a combination of the lens not auto focusing fast enough. And some miss focus. You may want to set the camera to a single point next time and keep that point on the part of the subject you want in focus.

Something not to crazy expensive is the AF-s 70-300mm

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 26, 2010 at 1:03 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:18 AM   #7

Looks like you were catching the moment ok. Since they're at the end of the rope, distance won't change much. Give a try to centre point focus, locking it and burst. In-boat pics are hit and miss. When you're tubing, take a lot (like a hundred per outing). Most will be culls but if you can get a high bounce or huge spray with the droplets clean and crisp, everyone will pat you on the back. I'll admit that in years of trying, I only get snap-shot quality from in the boat. Better is from a solid dock and ask the boat captain to come close. Tell the tube riders to act up. Long lens, burst again.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:51 AM   #8

Before someone else says it, straighten those horizons in PP, leave room in front of the tube and yell "No HANDS!!!" That's what I do to get the tubers to do more than just hang on. I also yell "TRICKS!!!". They'll come up with something.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:49 AM   #9

You're towing the tube behind the boat you're on, so if you keep the focus point on the tube, the focus distance won't change, so the lens' focusing speed isn't an issue.

Some motion blur isn't a bad thing, but since everything in the image is moving (relative to the camera), everything has some motion blur. You need to get the shutter speed faster in order to get sharper images. The simplest thing to do is use P (Programmed Auto) Mode instead of Sports Mode, and adjust the Command Dial to get a fast shutter speed.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:06 PM   #10

Thanks TCav. So in P Mode, I can get a faster shutter speed than in Sports Mode? I really appreciate the help. Also, would a better lens say a 70-200 2.8 give me better results than my 55-200 4-5.6? I am outside with good lighting so would it be worth upgrading my lens too?