Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:36 AM   #1

Default For John G

This picture had the exif info when I uploaded it. Let me know if it shows up for you. What I saw was 175mm with an (auto ISO of 250, 1/1000 @f5.6 with an exposure set @ +1.7. The focus point was just under the helmet of the kid in the yellow shirt. Also, I was shooting in Manual and had my ISO set @ 1600. Now why in my exif info would it say auto ISO and change it to 250? How can I take the ISO out of Auto? My focus is set at AF-C

Sorry for all of the questions and thanks so much for your help. Could you suggest possibly a better lens that I would actually see better results?

Thanks

Wolves
Attached Images

Last edited by wolverines; Aug 31, 2010 at 11:47 AM.
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:05 PM   #2

Well still can't view the exif so it's still getting stripped. Your sharpness problem is directly related to over-cropping. This shot is too loosely framed. You can't crop a photo that much and expect critical sharpness. If you shoot in landscape orientation you should have your subject filling 3/4 of the frame. With something like a 300mm 2.8 or 400mm 2.8 you have more leeway as they're fantastically sharp. Basically if the shot were framed in camera such that the bottom of the window on the house was at the top of the frame you'd be doing good. The lower the quality of the optics the less you can crop.

Personally I would suggest you shoot more in portrait orientation - you need to fill about 2/3 of the vertical frame there.

Also make sure you enable only the center focus point - you don't want it using off-center points.

As to disabling auto-ISO I'm not familiar with your camera - a look through the camera manual should tell you how to disable the function. Oh, and don't use EC in manual - it's a silly concept I'm not sure why Nikon has it - it adjusts your ISO I believe - again, not sure what purpose it serves - the whole concept of manual is to take the camera's metering out of the equation. So the idea of EC in manual doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

As to lens upgrades, the 70-300vrII will be a step up. Next step up is the sigma 100-300 f4.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:43 PM   #3

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it. I'll take your advice and see if I can get some better results at the next game. That sigma looks nice but it's a little out of my range. I'll check out your other suggestion later today.

Thanks again for putting up with me!

Wolves
Old Aug 31, 2010, 7:40 PM   #4

Let's see if we can trace this back. From your camera to here, what path do your images take? Do you use the free Nikon ViewNX software that came with your D5000? Do you use it to do everything, or do you have other applications that you use to do things like resize an image?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:32 PM   #5

I use the view NX that came with my camera. I use a basic program that came with my printer to crop but when I reposted the above picture, I used the View NX to compress it for this site.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:31 PM   #6

Keep following JohnG's advice and you'll be fine. I've been a big fan for a while. I thought I'd share an illustration of the cropping point from a recent outing. I was shooting with a 70-200mm f/2.8 at f/2.8.

Here is the original out of camera - shot at 200mm.

Here is the cropped version. Even with the best 200mm zoom lens around, just cropping from portrait to landscape significantly reduces the sharpness. But you can really help yourself out by dialing in the exposure and using the center point focus.
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 3:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverines View Post
I use the view NX that came with my camera. I use a basic program that came with my printer to crop but when I reposted the above picture, I used the View NX to compress it for this site.
Just in case that's the problem, Nikon has released a new version of ViewNX. See http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answ...ail/a_id/16898
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote