Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 1, 2010, 4:48 PM   #1

Default Nikon D5000 Action Shots

Hi! I recently acquired a Nikon D5000 primarily to take action shots of my daughters gymnastics where flash photography is NOT allowed. I shoot on the sports mode, but I have been getting blur and noise...what setting can I chage to get a crisper photo??? Thanks in advanced!
kellysmallwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:39 PM   #2

Do you have any sample with the exif data? And which lens are you using? You my have to bump up your iso to 3200 to increase shutter speed for starter. More info will be helpful to help determine what is going on.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 3:21 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Welcome to Steve's, I've just moved this to the sports and action section so you get some advice from the sports shooters.

Basically, you are going to need some special lenses. If you are only using the kit lens or similar then it won't allow enough light in to get a fast enough shutter speed.

When I shoot gymnastics I usually have to use ISO 3200 or 6400 with a lens that is at least f2.8 and often f1.8 is needed to get high shutter speeds. The ideal for fast movement in the gym is 1/1000s and that's very very hard to get, usually I'm able to get 1/400-1/640s with these settings.

I would guess that you are getting something in the region of 1/60s or less which is the issue.

Gymnastics is harder than lots of indoor sports as they gyms are often worse than those used for basketball/volleyball, as you mention flash isn't allowed and some of the activities are very very fast.

Sorry it's not good news, but it is good news for those of us who are paid to go and shoot it as I find it to be one of the best earners as parents can't get the shots without the right kit

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 3:29 AM   #4

Hi and welcome what lens have you got and if you could post a picture with the exif data it will help poeple to answer more. But I have to agree with Mark with fast indoor sports then you will need some fast glass.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:50 AM   #5

Mark's advice is good - he and I both shoot gymnastics. Each sport is different and has different challenges.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:20 PM   #6

I have a D5000 also and am looking for similar answers. What lens do you recommend to get the fast speeds? I have the 18-55 kit lens and a AF 70-300. On top of wanting good shots of kids in sports, I also like to take wildlife shots that are often at low light with no flash. I would love some lens suggestions and general prices if anyone has any.
Soupcreek
Soupcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:36 PM   #7

Soupcreek - recommendations are based on specific situations - what sports do you need to shoot? What level of play? From where are you shooting? Shooting tee-ball is different than HS varsity baseball (and it's different if you're in the dugout or behind a fence) is different than a MLB game from the stands, etc.
There is no one lens that will allow you to shoot all sports in all situations - it doesn't exist.

Same with wildlife - the size of the wildlife, the distances involved, what they are doing (stationary vs. moving) all matter. I've shot seagulls with my 24-105 lens without problem. Good luck doing that with sparrows - where my 400mm lens is often too short. 150mm might be good for a deer in my backyard but an owl in the tree might need 500mm. No single lens can do it all - even with unlimited funds. A 600mm f4 would be great for Birds in flight but mostly useless to shoot indoor basketball with.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 2:10 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
A 600mm f4 would be great for Birds in flight but mostly useless to shoot indoor basketball with.
I don't know, stick it on the front of a 1DmkIV and I think you will be fine for shooting the full length of the court if you don't mind the players being cropped

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:02 PM   #9

Thank you. I am using a 55-200 in sports mode with ISO set at Hi1. Is this what I should be doing with this lens? Can I adjust the shutter speed while in this mode? I will post a couple photos so you can see how they look at that setting.
kellysmallwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 6:14 PM   #10

I'm not sure how Nikon's sports mode works. You certainly have more control if you switch to manual exposure or aperture priority. But you cannot change the laws of physics. Just because you may want a 1/400 shutter speed doesn't mean the gear is capable of it. You can guarantee the highest shutter speed by using the highest ISO and widest aperture (lowest f-number) in aperture priority. There are more complications but those can be addressed next. I suggest using ISO 6400 if your camera has it - 3200 if that's all it has.