Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:41 AM   #1

Default golfing

a few attempts at golf
Attached Images

Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:53 AM   #2

Greetings. There's some promise here - especially the last shot.

Exposures / color on all shots are very good - well done on that aspect!

shot 1: a lot of dead space - especially behind him. Sometimes this can be OK in golf if the scenery is good. For this type of shot I'd either shoot much tighter in Portrait or shoot from across the hole so the hole is in the frame for perspective.

shot 2: framing - try not to shoot this type of shot with him in the center of the frame - nothing behind him is of interest and you lost the ball off the left edge. You don't need focus tracking so frame the shot with him to the right - that gets rid of uninteresting dead space and gives you more room to capture the sand/ball on the left.

shot 3: again, he's in center of the frame - if anything you want him pushed to the left so his gaze and ball are moving into the larger portion of the frame - the eyes then follow the gaze/ball from left to right. As with the other green shot - the hole/flag can often make for a nice OOF foreground image.

shot 4: most interesting shot IF he was trying to hit the ball. Only you know the truth of that - if it was just a practice swing, then it's no fun. The biggest problem here is all the dead space - get rid of it. In fact you don't even need the club head in the frame - the story is the expression, the fact he's in follow thru and the ball is still on the tee. Everything else is just a distraction.

So you've got good exposures and good sharpness - next time just work on your framing. Golf is a bit different than other sports in that the backgrounds can often add to the images. But that's not the case here - or with most public golf courses (or in late afternoon play with harsh lighting). If the course in question has a hole/area that makes for a very nice backdrop then plan to take some shots there. Otherwise, shoot a bit tighter.

Thanks for sharing!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:00 AM   #3

thank you very much for the advice. I do realize there is a lot of dead space in all of these, but i just didnt know which way i should go with the club(head)s. i thought i was going to be wrong if i cut them off so i framed wide. figured i can always crop them out even though it would be "cheating".
and that last one was a not a practice shot He really tried so hard because he wanted to impress his dad, but missed the ball on multiple occasions. I had a few more shots like that but framing was way off IMO.

either way, many thanks for advice and i will keep trying...its fun whether i succeed or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Greetings. There's some promise here - especially the last shot.

Exposures / color on all shots are very good - well done on that aspect!

shot 1: a lot of dead space - especially behind him. Sometimes this can be OK in golf if the scenery is good. For this type of shot I'd either shoot much tighter in Portrait or shoot from across the hole so the hole is in the frame for perspective.

shot 2: framing - try not to shoot this type of shot with him in the center of the frame - nothing behind him is of interest and you lost the ball off the left edge. You don't need focus tracking so frame the shot with him to the right - that gets rid of uninteresting dead space and gives you more room to capture the sand/ball on the left.

shot 3: again, he's in center of the frame - if anything you want him pushed to the left so his gaze and ball are moving into the larger portion of the frame - the eyes then follow the gaze/ball from left to right. As with the other green shot - the hole/flag can often make for a nice OOF foreground image.

shot 4: most interesting shot IF he was trying to hit the ball. Only you know the truth of that - if it was just a practice swing, then it's no fun. The biggest problem here is all the dead space - get rid of it. In fact you don't even need the club head in the frame - the story is the expression, the fact he's in follow thru and the ball is still on the tee. Everything else is just a distraction.

So you've got good exposures and good sharpness - next time just work on your framing. Golf is a bit different than other sports in that the backgrounds can often add to the images. But that's not the case here - or with most public golf courses (or in late afternoon play with harsh lighting). If the course in question has a hole/area that makes for a very nice backdrop then plan to take some shots there. Otherwise, shoot a bit tighter.

Thanks for sharing!
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:11 AM   #4

Wow. Looking at the amazing follow through of the kid, I thought it was a practice swing really. Dads can be very intimidating. Nice picks.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:15 AM   #5

Indeed. Initially, he wasnt swinging hard and it was taking a long time to move on. So his dad told him to swing as hard as he could...
I will crop the pic later tonite and post it. Let's see if I can make JohnG happy. JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Wow. Looking at the amazing follow through of the kid, I thought it was a practice swing really. Dads can be very intimidating. Nice picks.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin2307 View Post
Let's see if I can make JohnG happy. JK
Hey, if that's your goal, you can mail a check (for any denomination) to....

Seriously - don't worry about making me happy. You and the people you share your photos with are the only ones that count. I only offer suggestions. As with any advice, pick and choose what makes sense to you and ignore the rest.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:42 AM   #7

as always, your honest advice is much appreciated. I dont particularly care for attaboys all the time. If it is bad, its bad. tell me now so i dont do it again, would by my motto.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 9:12 PM   #8

better framing?

Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:09 AM   #9

I think it's better framing. Just my opinion though.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 1:05 PM   #10

Sure. Much better framing. Pin point JohnG's advice.
Now, the big guy shouldn't be using his son's putter, ha!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote