Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:06 AM   #1

Default Football

Been trying to work on my technique and exposure. Let me know what you think. I'm pretty much zoomed in as far as I can get with my lens. Just trying to get my technique and exposure a little better before I can get some new glass. These are 200mm, ISO 250, 1/1000 f6.3 with exposure at +.3. Thanks
Attached Images

wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:17 AM   #2

exposures are pretty good here. But the images still appear over-cropped (which is why the focus appears off in shot 2 IMO). The key to shooting with a 200m lens is shooting action closer to you - plays coming your way. Especially with a budget lens, you need to fill the frame in-camera. Fortunately football offers ample opportunity to do so - if you position yourself correctly and are patient.

Also both shots are a bit crooked. You'll want to straiten them when you crop - use vertical queues in the background to get things strait. Horizontal objects can be slanted if the ground is slanted but vertical objects (posts, stands) will usually still be vertical even on a slant.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:25 AM   #3

Thanks JG. I didn't even notice that they were crooked. Yeah. I was pretty far away. They won't let you get close on this field to take pictures. I really need to get a longer lens. Thanks again!!
Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverines View Post
Thanks JG. I didn't even notice that they were crooked. Yeah. I was pretty far away. They won't let you get close on this field to take pictures. I really need to get a longer lens. Thanks again!!

I would not worry about a longer piece of glass yet. I would more work on getting the photos down to a science first. Once you learn to use the lens you have with your body you will be able to work much better. How low does your lens go as far as F speed? 2.8? 3.5? 4? Keep in mind you want to be more worried about what you can get than what you cannot get. Even from the sidelines you cannot get it all. Take what it gives you and run with it.
Bruceswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 4:44 PM   #5

My lens is a 55-200 Nikor 4.5-5.6. In my opinion, I think the photos look pretty good as far as exposure. But I am new to photography so I'm not totally sure. I've only used this camera about 10 times so I am trying to get better. I couldn't zoom in as far as I wanted. I want to get better at framing (which I know comes in time) I do want to be able to get a lens that I can zoom in and get sharp pictures without having to crop the heck out of them like the ones above. I love this site and am becoming addicted to taking pictures. Just wish I had the $$ for some better equipment. I think I could really get into it. I really appreciate all the help and constructive criticism on this site.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverines View Post
My lens is a 55-200 Nikor 4.5-5.6. In my opinion, I think the photos look pretty good as far as exposure. But I am new to photography so I'm not totally sure. I've only used this camera about 10 times so I am trying to get better. I couldn't zoom in as far as I wanted. I want to get better at framing (which I know comes in time) I do want to be able to get a lens that I can zoom in and get sharp pictures without having to crop the heck out of them like the ones above. I love this site and am becoming addicted to taking pictures. Just wish I had the $$ for some better equipment. I think I could really get into it. I really appreciate all the help and constructive criticism on this site.

A zoom lens with a sharp focus / fast enough is going to set you back a bit of cash. If you are prepared to spend it, then by all means go for it. As far as exposure I was more meaning the contrast of it all. The blue uniforms look to have too much color as where the grass looks a bit dull in comparison. With sports you want to try and get as realistic looking as possible. Most people want to see the action stopped and looking realistic over any type of art forms that can be done with photos.
Bruceswar is offline   Reply With Quote