Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschoenr View Post
Really nice series John.. A couple questions for you:

When shooting with the 580EX - do you shoot single shots only?
Ever have problems with the batteries overheating on that flash?
I assume you mount the flash below to combat the shadows from the field lights and get light into the helmets - correct?
I still use burst. I'll get 2-3 shots off a charge. The down side is you don't really know - the 2nd shot or 3rd shot or 4th could be trash because flash was out of power. I'm a lot more careful about what I shoot though when using flash so I tend to take about 1/4 of the shots I would take without flash.

I also use external battery pack - without it, flash takes a long time to re-charge and you eat through batteries quickly

It's not the batteries that will overheat it's the flash itself. That will happen if you machine gun time and again.

As for placing the flash under - the big thing is to get it away from the camera to prevent red-eye. Red-eye in sports tends to be very severe - larger than pupil. So you have to get it off the camera. I put it under because it's easier - I already have the monopod so why not put it on that? Instead of above the camera on a bracket - which makes a larger and less stable platform.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 1:51 PM   #12

Nice shooting John, a master class on "how to shoot under flash" sports pics . I've got to ask given a Tog of your Calibre!, is that a sloping pitch or Horizons . , nice set Sir. Kind regards Graham.
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:47 PM   #13

I thought they were all good especially like #10.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 7:22 AM   #14

Thanks Graham. I'm guessing my horizons are a bit off - truth is though I struggled with how I changed some of them so I probably botched a couple - especially with the bus in the background - I think the lot the bus is on has a different slope/grade than the field.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:40 PM   #15

God example of high quality shots John. From day into the night there all sharp and well composed tight shots.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:34 PM   #16

Hello John. I have enjoyed seeing your shots and reading your discussions on how you captured them. I do have a total newbie question.

Is there an example of the monopod setup you often refer to? I have been lucky so far in that the stadiums I have shot in have been new with great lighting. I will be in a few where the flash will be needed and I am not really seeing your setup in my mind.

Thank you

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:35 PM   #17

Steve,

Here's the flash / monopod setup I use. For those not familiar with flash cords, the cord you see going from the flash up to the lens actually attaches to the hot-shoe of the camera (which is not pictured, since it was used to take this picture ):
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:59 PM   #18

AWESOME pictures as always. You should shoot more sports especially for Sports Illustrated.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:42 AM   #19

John has a nice setup, but if you want to save the money from his flash mount, you can build one for less than $6.00 at Lowes or Home Depot.

All you need is:
2 Hose Clamps
1 staight screw rod(with no end)
a wingnut to go on the rod
1 L bracket.
Bruceswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:33 AM   #20

Thanks for the image John.

I had looked at B&H for monopod brackets and did not see anything like what you are using. Did it come with your monopod as a set (I have not made it through the manufacturers pages yet) or is it re-purposed from something else? I like it.

I am in favor saving a bit of money where I can and have no problem with making parts, pieces, and doo dads whenever possible. The engineer in me (PhD from "by god" Texas A&M ) does not always let it work out that way I am sorry to report. I tend to get carried away during the process and by time I get finished I have a one off piece that is polished for retail so it is more like this at times.

I do have a few thoughts on clamps but want to try a factory piece first and go from there.

Thank you for the help and input. After the games this coming weekend I will put up some shots. Our little county news paper uses some I have done, but, just because it can be cropped and plastered onto newsprint does not make it a good image. I know my gear is capable of much more than I am currently producing.

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote