Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:45 AM   #1

Default Football

Still trying to get better at taking these photos. So...Let me have it!! LOL!
Attached Images

wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:06 PM   #2

Nice looking photos.

Exposure seems to be off in a few of them but not by much.

From the shadows in 3 I assume it is later in the day? This photo also has too much going in the background.

Moving past the minor blur / exposure levels, they look pretty solid.

What setup / settings did you use?
Bruceswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 4:49 PM   #3

Thanks Bruceswar.
I think some of them seem overexposed a little (is that what you thought)? I'm not good at changing the exposure on the fly yet. Seems I get to talking to other parents and then the good action happens and I have the same settings.

I have a Nikon D5000 with a 55-200 4.5-5.6 lens. Iso was 250, 1/1000 , f 5.6 and my exposure was +.3 with auto white balance.

I think I need to work on my panning but I don't know if the blur is me or my camera not focusing fast enough?

Thanks again
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverines View Post
Thanks Bruceswar.
I think some of them seem overexposed a little (is that what you thought)? I'm not good at changing the exposure on the fly yet. Seems I get to talking to other parents and then the good action happens and I have the same settings.

I have a Nikon D5000 with a 55-200 4.5-5.6 lens. Iso was 250, 1/1000 , f 5.6 and my exposure was +.3 with auto white balance.

I think I need to work on my panning but I don't know if the blur is me or my camera not focusing fast enough?

Thanks again

2 Looks under exposed, while 3 looks a bit over exposed. 4 Looks pretty dead on. At 5.6 you likely will get a small amount of blur. As for your +.3, next time you go shoot, try lots of different settings in the + and minus range. Focus on a non moving object and start all the way in the minus and with each shot move up one click. You will then be able to find what works best for you. If you do happen to overexpose it or under expose , you can also correct most of it in a post photo editor.

Edited to add:

Remember use AV mode as you want the camera to try and find the best light for you. The camera can do it much faster / better than 99.9% of us. Use the tools the camera gives us.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceswar View Post

Remember use AV mode as you want the camera to try and find the best light for you. The camera can do it much faster / better than 99.9% of us. Use the tools the camera gives us.
Actually I'm going to disagree. Especially football in bright lights the camera will get it wrong quite a bit depending on how many light/dark jerseys are involved, what's in the background etc. AV is a great mode if sun is going in and out of clouds. Otherwise, manual mode tends to work best. Why? Because lighting isn't changing until you change angles (i.e. moving up / down sideline isn't changing light unless part of the field is in shadow). So,one you know the proper exposure for FACES from where you're shooting dial that in. Then it doesn't matter if the scene is all white or all dark jerseys - you'll still expose properly for the faces in the helmets.

But you need to keep checking those exposures - especially when you change angles or when light levels change. It's only a slight learning curve to learn to shoot manual exposure but once you get it, your exposures will be much better. Variations can then be easily corrected in post processing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:42 PM   #6

i dont know your budget but i would suggest faster glass- the 70 200mm 2.8 is a place to start, then again thats not enough reach for football un less you added a tele converter.
hawksfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Actually I'm going to disagree. Especially football in bright lights the camera will get it wrong quite a bit depending on how many light/dark jerseys are involved, what's in the background etc. AV is a great mode if sun is going in and out of clouds. Otherwise, manual mode tends to work best. Why? Because lighting isn't changing until you change angles (i.e. moving up / down sideline isn't changing light unless part of the field is in shadow). So,one you know the proper exposure for FACES from where you're shooting dial that in. Then it doesn't matter if the scene is all white or all dark jerseys - you'll still expose properly for the faces in the helmets.

But you need to keep checking those exposures - especially when you change angles or when light levels change. It's only a slight learning curve to learn to shoot manual exposure but once you get it, your exposures will be much better. Variations can then be easily corrected in post processing.

Sport photographers have no time to check the settings after each shot. We have to keep shooting. I have no clue why people would shoot in Manual mode. There is rarely a time when the lighting stays the same anywhere on any field. Even in the bright sunlight. Why would anybody, especially someone starting out want to have more things to worry about? If you never move from 1 spot that is a different story, but if you are up and down the field, then you have to worry about lighting conditions changing on the fly. AV makes this 10000% easier. Just my thoughts on this. I am sure many other sport photographers would agree. I have yet to meet anybody who shoots in manual mode as a sports photographer.

Edited to add I am not trying to start an argument, but rather looking for a healthy debate.

Last edited by Bruceswar; Sep 13, 2010 at 6:47 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:43 PM   #8

So how's my exposure look JG? Am I getting any better? No pitty. Just want it straight up! Trying to get better at this. I really like taking pictures, never thought it would be this challenging!! Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:48 PM   #9

200mm can work IF you're on the sidelines and IF you're patient. Football is the most forgiving of the field sports that way - soccer, lax, field hockey, etc are all more difficult. With football you just follow the line of scrimage and shoot middle of field toward your sideline. What you have to accept when shooting sports is the majority of the action will take place away from you - you simply have to be patient for the plays that come your way. It's the lack of patience the OP has to overcome. UNLESS he is not on the sideline. If he's off the field then it's very difficult - you need to be looking at 400-500mm lenses in that case. I shot football for several seasons with a 70-200 2.8. It can absolutely be done. 300 is going to be better but with the sigma 100-300 f4 being discontinued, it's tough to decide on a 300mm or longer lens as they're mostly f5.6 (or very very expensive - like a 300mm 2.8, 200-400 4.0, 50-500 5.6, etc...). Every lens has it's benefits and drawbacks. The key to success is shooting within your gear (or marry a rich woman/man that likes to buy you expensive lenses)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
The key to success is shooting within your gear (or marry a rich woman/man that likes to buy you expensive lenses)

At the first part... this is 100% true. Knowing your limits is key. At the 2nd part.... LOLOL