Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:30 PM   #1

Default Header

It has been a busy summer without much time for Steve’s other than lurking around a few of the forums. Went out to shoot my daughters game tonight and then wondered over to the boys varsity game to see if I could get a few shots in before I needed to head for home.
Here are a few I picked up.

Comments and criticism is always greatly appreciated.

Tom
Attached Images

schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:35 AM   #2

Nice pics. I like the first one you captured all the face expressions and emotions.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:47 AM   #3

First one looks as if the kid was tell him self nope not that head I see something... Great shots!
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 2:07 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Tom, looks like you got some nice light to shoot in, although probably I would have brought the ISO down a bit as you were at 1/8000s lol, good exposure though.

The first is far too loose for my taste, the additional players are not adding anything to the shot. Shooting portrait would have been better and allowed you to get in closer on the action. The other two have worked out OK in landscape as you are shooting from the side. #2 looks a bit dangerous though.... studs a bit high.... any call made?

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:00 PM   #5

Lovelylon27 & SharpShotGal, Thanks for your positive comments.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Tom, looks like you got some nice light to shoot in, although probably I would have brought the ISO down a bit as you were at 1/8000s lol, good exposure though.

The first is far too loose for my taste, the additional players are not adding anything to the shot. Shooting portrait would have been better and allowed you to get in closer on the action. The other two have worked out OK in landscape as you are shooting from the side. #2 looks a bit dangerous though.... studs a bit high.... any call made?
Mark,
The light was mostly good but getting low on the horizon. I had been shooting with the 100 – 400 (#1 below) and the sun had been drifting in and out of clouds so I must have bumped the ISO and forgot to readjust when I changed over to the 70 – 200.

I like all the players fighting to get at the ball, but tried a new crop (#2 below) cutting out two players on the outside. I am never quite sure what to do when it means cutting someone in half? I try to shoot portrait as much as possible but go landscape when they start to get on the edge of my shooting range for the lens.

No call on the high kick and amazingly the goalie made the save.

Tom
Attached Images

Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:13 AM   #7
Super Moderator

For me I like that crop much better, probably too far away for the best sharpness but nice action.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote