Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 17, 2010, 4:35 PM   #1

Default Toronto Cyclocross

Today at Centennial Park. Lots of different categories of racers. Cyclocross claims to be the toughest sport. Don't they all? In every sport the players go as hard as they can for as long as required. Anyway, it's fun to watch the cyclists. I mtn bike this hill and the only drop i haven't done (ok, i admit it, i'm too scared) is the second pic. These guys come over the top and push their bikes down. The heats go for an hour. An HOUR!!!
Attached Images

frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:53 PM   #2

And while i was standing around near the sand pit, a fellow photog with a giant canon L was sharing his opinion that the guys were entering the sand pit on the wrong line!

these guys are young cat-2. that means their next step up is next door to national team level. they know what they're doing. but just like non-photographers have plenty of advice to give, poor golfers tell you swing tips, bad bowlers give you slide instruction... non-cyclists have opinions about how to ride. i walked away.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:48 AM   #3

Great pics. I can give you all kinds of bad advice on any topic. Just ask! :P

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:54 AM   #4

Frank - really like that first shot. Nice exposure, good shot with 2 competitors, sand kicking up (seriously, I have enough issue riding on trail/pavement - I don't need sand complicating my life ).

Shot 2 doesn't work well for me though - the framing just doesn't work. Really highlights the crotch area, handlebars - the face is partially cut off and pressed up against the corner of the frame. So there really isn't a good visual subject in the frame.

Good to see something different though. Thanks for sharing!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Frank - really like that first shot. Nice exposure, good shot with 2 competitors, sand kicking up (seriously, I have enough issue riding on trail/pavement - I don't need sand complicating my life ).

Shot 2 doesn't work well for me though - the framing just doesn't work. Really highlights the crotch area, handlebars - the face is partially cut off and pressed up against the corner of the frame. So there really isn't a good visual subject in the frame.

Good to see something different though. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for commenting. I had to be on one side or the other of the drop. The side I picked had me breathing heavy just standing there. Next race I'll try the other side. Better light from that side too. To me his shoulders stand out. Other perspectives are enriching.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 9:02 PM   #6

I concur with John. First image is awesome, second well....appears the the shutter went off accidently.
Finding a good spot and being prepared with the specific focal length for that spot goes a long way. Had that been from a lower angle giving the illusion of gigantism and included the entire upper torso and head it would have made for a nice image.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 9:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
I concur with John. First image is awesome, second well....appears the the shutter went off accidently.
Finding a good spot and being prepared with the specific focal length for that spot goes a long way. Had that been from a lower angle giving the illusion of gigantism and included the entire upper torso and head it would have made for a nice image.
Thanks for the c&c. More to try out next time.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:36 PM   #8

Love the first shot. I keep thinking i need to catch a cyclocross race.
schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:56 AM   #9

Um, I like the second one too. Although it isn't perfect, it has energy that the other doesn't. Great pics!

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote