Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:26 PM   #1

Default Sports Positioning

OK, I know where I like to go, but where do you "pros" like to go to shoot a sport? I'm just taking pictures of my kids (and their teammates) participating, I'm not telling the story of the game.

Anyway... my positions...

Soccer
Behind the endline my son's team is scoring to, about 5' away from the goal. I'm trying to get faces (his in particular). This is on a U8 field.

Basketball
Again, behind the endline my kids (daughter or son) is score to, about 1/2 way between goal and sideline

Softball
My ideal spot is behind the fence about 5'-15' up the first base line. This allows me to get faces of batters and occasional plays at home

I haven't tried any other sports (yet), but thought others might be interested in the information.
SamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:48 AM   #2

The positions you listed are good but one has to keep in mind that position is also about what gear you are using and what you are trying to capture.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:56 AM   #3

Yep, there is no single position to shoot a sport. The key, as mentioned above, is what type of shot do you want?
Example: in baseball, if you want a shot of a pitcher - if the pitcher is right handed you want to shoot from third base side (or strait on), but if the pitcher is left handed you want to shoot from first base side (or strait on).

Another example: let's say you want a play at second base - who do you want to highlight in the shot - the fielder or the runner? If the runner you want to be on third base line so you have the runner's face. Assuming the shortstop is making the play you can get a shot from either baseline. Third base side gives you a profile of the shortstop and first base line gives you a head on shot.

what gear you have:
example: again with baseball, assume you want shots of center fielder. If you have a 500mm lens you can take the shot from near home plate. The shorter the lens the more you have to move down the baseline towards the outfield (and the more your shot will be from the side vs. head on).

another example for basketball: assuming aps-c camera - if you're using a 50mm lens you really want to be on the baseline right at the key for offensive player shots near the rim. If you were shooting with an 85mm lens that would be too tight - you need to slide out by where the arc hits the baseline.

speaking about amateur sports (I don't shoot pro sports) there isn't a single sport I shoot that I stay in only one location. I select my position based upon the type of shot I want and/or the plalyer I want a shot of with the idea to put my camera/lens in the best place to capture action with faces. The real key, in my experience, is learning to work within your gear's limitations. For example, let's say you're shooting with a 70-200mm lens. I've found the useful range of such a lens to be about 25 yards. About 40 yards for my 300mm lens. So given the type of shot I'm after I want to position myself within that range of where the anticipated action will take place. The shorter the lens you have the more restricted you are.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote