Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:11 PM   #1

Default More Youth Soccer

This morning's game. C&C appreciated, welcomed, & wanted!

Last edited by SamG; Oct 23, 2010 at 2:19 PM.
SamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:19 AM   #2

Overall a decent set.
Cropping is a bit tight on some, try and apply the rule of 3rds. Heres an explanation to save myself some typing if you are not familiar. http://enchantingkerala.org/digital-...-of-thirds.php

#5 IMO would have been better in potrait. #4 is a perfect example of when to use landscape but the assumed subject (striker) is a bit high in the frame. (refer to rule of thirds)

Did a great job with the background save #3. I know sometimes you cant pick and choose whats in the background but the one thing I always avoid is spectators that close in the frame. While it makes for a bit of a PITA at times I try and position myself so Im shooting from the same side as the spectators to keep them out of the frame. They can make a photo too busy and draw attention away from the intended subject. Sometimes even ruin a great photo. (Actually had a nice header shot ruined by grandmas teeth hanging halfway out of her mouth in the background, made the attention draw you straight to the danglers) Depending on what part of the country you are in you may or may not have to deal with inconsiderate people steadily walking in front of you. Its like you are invisible and even the eyesight challanged should have no problem seeing me with the monster truck of L glass 400 2.8 in all its white beaming glory mounted on a Gitzo 3 series with a wimberley full gimbal head and me behind it. I actually had a later teen boy (16-18) walk right smack into me turning the lens in the gimbal and about taking my eye out. As stated this seems to vary depending on geographics, other places people will fall all over themselves before they walk in front of the camera.

Last edited by JustinThyme; Oct 26, 2010 at 9:32 AM.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:26 AM   #3

A good set as mentioned. You captured some nice action!

Exposures are too low in 1 and 3 and to a lesser extent in 2. I agree about #5 being better in portrait. Additionally, shot 4 is a bit late - with the ball so far away there's a lot of dead space so the distracting background elements (people, fence) are more of an issue.

You've got a good basis to build on here. Keep at it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:52 AM   #4

Yes John, great start!
One more thing I forgot to mention is when you can try and keep the DOF a bit more on the narrow side and as much separation as you can between subject and background. This way the background blurs away into a bokeh and isnt so distracting. Here is a sportrait sample as an example. This was at f4 on a 400 2.8L. The players can be identified but not distracting and the lights in the background is the reflection of the sun off of car windshields in the parking lot. Narrow DOF to have only the intended subject cleanly in focus is highly desireable in sports shooting. On the same token you dont want it so narrow that their midsection is in focus but their head isnt. I usually stay between f 2.8 and f4 with 2.8 at the long end and 4 as the action closes. Sometimes lighting dictates you choke down as I have often had bright sunny days where my meter was still pegged at ISO100 2.8 and 1/8000 and other times where you get inside with crappy lighting and you need all the aperture opening you can get along with high ISO and have to adapt and get the best you can get with DOF and shutter speed.

JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:52 AM   #5

Thanks guys. I understand the rule of thirds, but must have failed in my execution of it. I tried to use it during crop, but do appear to be off some. Although I thought I had lined up #2 fairly well.

I couldn't quite figure out how much "lead room" to leave in #5. I just loved the action pose (and since that's my son, I was really happy with it lol).

John, I understand the exposure is low in #1 & #4, I was fighting side lighting in 1 and back lighting in 4, but am surprised you said 2 & 3 were low. I don't have access to the raw pics right now (I'm at work), so I can't look at the histogram, but can you explain how much brighter they should be?

Also, on #5 being a portrait, that shot is cropped pretty tight, so I've got some ground to play with. I'll try and recrop tonight and see if I can do any better.

There's one more game Saturday and I'm debating bringing my camera again (it's hard to cheer too hard when I'm snapping pictures).
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:05 AM   #6

sorry I meant 1 & 4 (not 3) were underexposed. sorry for confusion. As to shot #2 it's still about faces - shadow on the girl's face around the eyes. The overall image could have been more exposed (1/3 - 1/2 stop), but selective dodging could correct the important issue -her face. I'm guessing in looking at the exif from that image and the one after it that your lens is variable aperture (i.e. it can't maintain the same wide aperture value as you zoom). And, you dialed in a value in your manual exposure that the lens can't maintain as you zoom so when you zoom out your exposure goes down (in this case only f4 to f4.5). The hair, to a lesser extent is also affected. Again, not as bad as the other two and easily corrected in post.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:40 AM   #7

Thanks John. That makes more sense. I'll try to redit #2 tonight and see what you think.

Oh, and yes, my lens is a variable aperture. :P

Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:29 PM   #8

OK, I tried working with #2 & #5

#5 in portrait:

#2 with the girl's eyes dodged a little:

Maybe I'm just not getting it.