Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:39 AM   #1

Default First Attempt Community College Basketball

The season started last night at out local community college, this was my first attempt, Canon Xsi, 85mm.. at apt 2.0, 1/400, iso 1600, single pt focus, partial metering....

How do I make the pictures smaller when posting, I made them 1024, but the size is kinda big?

Last edited by JohnG; Nov 5, 2010 at 10:31 AM.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:17 AM   #2

Ok, these sizes look better.
Attached Images

Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:34 PM   #3

Mark,

Welcome to the wonderful world of sports photography. I think you're off to a good start - you're shoooting manual with custom WB which is great. Your exposures are good and WB looks good. You've got nice tight framing and you've pretty much stayed within the limitations of the lens. So you're doing a lot of things right for your first time. Here's some input on each shot:

shot 1) very nice action. Shot is slightly crooked but it's the only one of the group that is. You've got nice timing on the shot but the impact is missing because there aren't really any faces. You really want some faces for the shot to work. Now, thats not under your control - but it's a quick lesson to learn - sometimes you do everything right that you can but the shot still doesn't work because the angle is wrong or someone gets in the way.

shot 2) This shot still has me scratching my head - not sure if the player down below is catching a pass, passing or what - and the defender just looks awkward. In short, not a well defined, interesting subject.

shot 3) Great timing. This is where the limit of the 85 comes into play. You've got a shot that's timed perfect but the best part of it is the block and the expression. Because #12 takes up so much of the frame, he's also distracting because you can't really have him sharp. The ideal way to present this image would be a tight framing of the upper bodies of the two players - really want to see the facial expression of the defender. So, I think you did a great job capturing the timing of the shot - it's just tough that the interesting part of it fills a small portion of the frame and the other defender's presence distracts. For a first time though it's a very good capture.

shot 4) Great timing again. Unfortunately the face just isn't sharp - that's the tough part - sudden change in direction or stop and ai-servo gets thrown.

Again, for a first time out you did great. You're doing a lot of things right - keep at it and you'll be doing great work in no time. Next step is to concentrate shooting and image review based on faces - want to get those faces in the frame and get them sharp.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:46 PM   #4

John,
Thanks, you gave me those settings last year, when I tried shooting my son in High School...I had an XT with a 50mm...I have since got the XSi, and the 18-55..55-250, the 50 and 85....This was my Son's first college game, so I was really nervous for him, and then second was taking the shot,,,I am surprised they were no to blurry for how much I was shaking!!

Anyway, I am going to keep trying, and keep posting..

Thanks again for your help.

MarkG
Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:05 AM   #5

I think John said everything. I just wanted to comment on how cool it is for your son to be playing college BB. Congrats!
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 8:31 AM   #6

Thanks, last picture.....next game is Thursday.
Attached Images