Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:27 AM   #11

thanks for the help but i dont think my camera will go up to an iso of 3200 i think 1600 is the highest it will go its a d3000 and i just wanna try and do somthing different photography wise
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:34 AM   #12

thanks for the help what if my camera only goes to an iso of 1600 its a nikon d3000 and the carrier dome only allows lenses shorter than 6in in length to be brought in so my 55-200 just makes it under that fully exteneded and im just gonna try and do some decent pics seeing how this is like my first sports shoot
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:21 PM   #13

Zombz,

Sounds like a plan. I would suggest though, that if you want to learn and practice sports photography, shooting from the stands is a tough way to do it. Again, because the angles are all wrong. I also might suggest with your current setup that you look to outdoor sports - preferably youth level where fields are small and shooting restrictions are pretty much non existent. There's nothing wrong with trying to get some fan shots from the stands - but that's not really sports photography. So it depends on what your goal is - get shots of Syracuse players or learn to shoot sports.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:42 PM   #14

kinda alittle of both i guess
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:54 PM   #15

Because I have to much time on my hands(wife says) I found a couple of examples of what JohnG is saying, in a amateur interpretation. One picture you can see was taken last year, with a zoom, f5.6, at 1600 iso, and I could not get a fast enough shutter, last week I took the other, with a 85mm,, 1.8, which at f2.0 I could get a 1/400 shutter, it is not perfect, but you can see the difference...there are other variables to these two pics, but just trying to show something relative.....I guess the bottom line is with your setup , you might be able to get some shots of players standing still,,,but actions shots will most likely be blurry....hope I made some sense.
Attached Images

Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:59 PM   #16

yea u guys r a big help i would go get a different lens if i could but im working with what i got and can afford for now
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:06 PM   #17

I hear you, I don't know your camera, but if it is like a canon, you have a Ap mode, put it on that, ISO 1600, AI servo focus, single point focus, continuous shoot,,,,and play with your dial to get the highest shutter speed, which would mean your ap would be wide open,,,,that is my input from a amateur dad that all these guys have helped me out....
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:15 PM   #18

well i not using a canon im using a nikon d3000
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:33 PM   #19

zombz, i read that your nikon d3000 has iso 3200 (Hi 1). So you have a chance. Since you're learning, i am too, try to have a plan. shoot a bunch at iso800, 1600 and 3200. it may become very obvious that the iso800s will be no good so you could probably cut that experiment short.

i'd give some thought to how you plan to focus. af-a, af-c or af-s??? center or multi-point?

just a suggestion but in any fast moving sport, by the time you half-press and then recompose, the players are somewhere else. so i'd center-point focus and not be recomposing at all. just shoot. for that method, af-s, turn off the focus assist and for goodness sake, don't embarrass yourself (or me) by having the built-in flash go off.

doesn't matter what, go and take some pics. review them later and you'll learn a lot.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:02 PM   #20

thanks for the advice and i wasnt even planing on going near the flash button lol