Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:06 PM   #1

Default lens choice need help

i might be going to a college basketball game and i was wondering if my 55-200mm nikon vr lens would be ok to use for these types of shots idk how close ill be to the floor
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:19 PM   #2

The lens doesn't have a wide enough aperture to do very well. And it will be a little sluggish following the action. But you can probably get some shots during natural pauses - layup or jump shot - if you're close enough to frame tightly.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:26 PM   #3

would the 18-55 be better or worse
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:33 PM   #4

The 18-55 would only be good if you were on the baseline - it will be fairly useless from the stands. Even from the baseline, it's still an f5.6 lens so again won't get you the shutter speeds you need, and as an f5.6 lens it's also going to be sluggish - probably worse since you have to shoot action closer to you which results in more movement of the focus mechanism. Of course, all of this is moot if you have nose bleed seets. Again, you might as well give it a try. Just keep your expectations low.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:39 PM   #5

well i shot this pic with the 55-200mm
Attached Images

Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombz View Post
What was your settings on this shot? The EXIF data was blocked for me.

Also it seems it was during the daytime and a little soft. Indoors at a gym your not going to have the same light you had with your bike shot. Which means you can't get your shutter speed high enough to stop action or you will have too much blur in the photos.
Either way a 5.6 lens won't cut it indoors unless you can shoot 12,000 to 25,000 ISO.
aced19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:39 PM   #7

it was at f 5.6 at 1/50th of a sec iso 100 and it was a really cloudy day
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombz View Post
I'm not sure what your point is. First, the shot is underexposed by about a stop and not particularly sharp. Second, if you're panning to show motion blur, slow shutter speeds are a good thing. Same isn't as aplicable in basketball. So, if your point is the 55-200 is capable of basketball - as I said, give it a go - you've got nothing to lose.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:05 AM   #9

welll im not fighting that it will work im new to all this and just want input and im gonna be mid court right behind the benchline at a syacuse university game
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:20 AM   #10

From what I was able to find out - the Carrier Dome has good light during the day (Translucent dome). If it's a daylight game, exposure setting was around f2.8, 1/640 and ISO 800. No data on what settings are if it's night time and just using lights. So, at f5.6, you could boost ISO to 3200 and get 1/640.

The tough part is going to be your shooting position. You're close to floor which is great, but the angle is a bit difficult. Remember, you want to capture FACES not the backs of players. So you want to watch for layups/dunks on the opposite side of the key from where you're sitting. You can also get shots of the dribble / defense in transition. Action/drives around the key will be tough - if it's on your side of the court then backs will be to you and if it's on the other side there's likely other players between you and the action. Still, look for times when you see the ballhandler's face - those are the shots to take. Good luck!