Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:15 PM   #1

Default Shooting through glass

At some point in the next month or so, I'll need to shoot through glass for my son's indoor soccer. This picture (I didn't take it) is from the facility. You can see the glass behind the player.

I'm not looking for a critique of this shot, but just to give you an idea of what I'll be facing.

So, any tips for shooting through the glass? I'm going to see if I can get to the bench side, but no guarantees.

The only thing I can think of is put the lens right up to the glass.
SamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:24 PM   #2

Well indoors you will need a big aperture lens of 2.8 for a zoom, or f2 or better with a prime. Also a cpl would help with reflections. But that can cause a problem as a cpl will cause you to loose about 3 stops of light.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 4:07 PM   #3

Sorry, CPL?

Also, I'm stuck with the kit zoom lens (Nikon 55-200, 3.5-5.6). I know things will be dark, but it's my kid so I've got to try.
SamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 4:16 PM   #4

circular polarize filter can cut glare or increase glare base on how you position it on the lens. So it helps when shooting through glass. I normally use it when at a airport to shot airplanes through the glass. But they have about 3 f-stop of light reductions. So with you indoor action, the 3 f-stop lost will actually make things worst.

You best bet is if you have hoods put them right up against the glass. And if you need to angle the camera on the glass use your hand or a piece of paper to cover the gap. With your lenses you will need ever stop of performance you can get, if you camera can shoot at 3200 or 6400iso, you may need to use that as well.