Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:28 PM   #1

Default HS Bball

I'd appreciate any advice you can give. Inexperienced with photography, shooting my childrens team, personal use only.

Images were taken as jpeg. (Waiting for PSE9 delivery to be able to use RAW).

Sony A500. Sigma 50-150 F2.8 II EX DC HSM.
iso 1600
1/400

At 1/500 images are much darker

Processing: adjusting level sliders to the left, increasing contrast and saturation by +10 each.

Processing washes out the image and shows more noise than the images at 1/400, but the motion seems to be stopped better.
HDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:55 PM   #2

Personally I prefer a properly exposed image - as you reach the upper end of a camera's ISO capabilities - when you 'push' the exposure in post the image quality really suffers. Even the 1/400 image is underexposed a bit. But 1/400 is preferable to a heavy exposure push. Think of it this way - pushing the exposure damages all your images. 1/400 will result in too much blur in a small fraction of shots but will be good enough in the majority of shots. Still, try giving ISO 3200 a try (along with noise reduction software like noiseware, noise ninja or topaz)

Other than the exposure issue, there are two big improvements you can make:
1) you need to frame much tighter - you've got way too much dead space in these photos - shooting sports effectively is as much about what you leave OUT of the frame as what you include IN the frame
1b) akin to the first point - shoot in portrait orientation rather than landscape - there is more vertical component to subject(s) than horizontal. There are exceptions of course but in general for basic basketball shots, shooting portrait allow you to have much tighter framing.

2) See if you can shoot from the baseline - you might be surprised they might let you - stick to the corners and never shoot from directly under the basket. That will allow you to get a better angle of the shooter - less people in between and better view of the face.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:04 PM   #3

I refrained from zooming in thinking it would allow more light and allow me to crop to correct alignment issues. However, the cropped images don't allow much detail in the subject.
HDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDon View Post
I refrained from zooming in thinking it would allow more light.
The lens you're using has a constant f2.8 aperture - so it's capable of f2.8 at any focal length. That's the benefit of better quality lenses. So the amount of light let in when using this lens is completely independent of focal length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDon View Post
However, the cropped images don't allow much detail in the subject.
Yep, that's reality - it's another one of those instances where theory <> reality. People that don't shoot low light sports will often advise to shoot loose and crop tighter. The reality is it doesn't usually work to well.

So, both reasons for shooting loose prove to be invalid. The good news is you should have plenty of games left and oftentimes it's better to learn by doing some of the wrong things first.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote