Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:10 PM   #1

Default Friday night lights...still

Hi,
I decided to introduce myself and share a few shots of some playoff HS football games my 16 year old son and I have been shooting.
JohnG stated on another thread
Quote:
"My suggestion: Practice, get feedback, practice, get feedback, practice, get feedback. Practice makes permanent, it doesn't make perfect. We can help you here."
So I thought I better get some feed back to see how we are doing.

We havent been shooting with any flash, just high ISO, wide open and on monopods. My son shoots a Canon 40D and a 70-200 2.8 non IS, and I have a Canon 7D with a 70-200 2.8 II, I was shooting a 100-400 but it was really too slow. That 300 2.8 is just a little too far out of reach LOL

So here a few pics..

My sons

Last edited by Frank P; Nov 30, 2010 at 1:36 PM.
Frank P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:00 PM   #2

Nice photos. I think overall you could bump up the brightness, and play with the contrast a bit. Sans the minor blur, an overall fun set. Yeah sure picture 4 might be crowded and not really work as far as a pro photo goes, but I like it. Obviously I like photo 1 best!
Bruceswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:10 PM   #3

Welcome Frank! I think you two are off to a good start here. The biggest issue is the 40d at ISO 3200 isn't giving you enough shutter speed. But here's some specific comments on the shots:

shot 1: Very nice isolation shot - sharp and great exposure - you can see his face. WB is good. The only issue here is the crop - it's a bit awkward - right at the one knee and half a foot - without the whole leg I would suggest cropping just below the player's left thigh pad - it's really a matter of taste.

shot 2: nice action, good sharpness and WB again and decent exposure. This shot more than the other can really use a crop. I know part of you wants to not cut players off, but the story here is the two defenders and the ball carrier - with the expression of 36 being the best part of the image. So crop down tighter - don't worry about the trailing offensive players at the top left of the frame or the defender on the right - none of them are part of the story - so tighten up on the action and expression.

shot 3: not bad, but as I mentioned shutter speed is a killer. 1/200-1/250 is just way too slow.

shot 4: some great action here. But the shot is a bit underexposed, again the issue of too little shutter speed and in this shot, too much dead space. Pass receptions are probably the toughest play to shoot - the timing of the shot isn't bad but the framing is just too loose. My suggestion for high iso is make a decision - either shoot landscape orientation and frame for torso and above or shoot portrait orientation if you're going to include full body. Shooting full body landscape leaves a shot like this with a lot of distracting background.

So, you're both doing some great things but if you're going to use the 40d in that type of light you're going to have to add external flash. Shot 1 & 3 are a great example of how important ISO 6400 is to the available light sports shooter.

Great start guys!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 3:49 PM   #4

Thank you very much for your input, its very helpful. I'm setting up the 580 flash under the monopod for the 40D. We have 2 games Thursday night.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 5:04 PM   #5

Here are few with the flash from last night.

Much easier to get the eyes in the helmut. Im still getting motion blur and Im not really sure if I got the whole 2.5 stops under ambient correct. I did notice some large shadows in the background.

This one could use a crop, just couldnt make up my mind.

I had a number of shots that were really dark, due to the flash recycle time being way too slow. I'm going to need a power pack, any recommendations?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 6:17 PM   #6

quantum makes some good power packs! BTW much better this time around!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 8:45 AM   #7

Frank - nice job! Watch cutting off those feet in shot 1. Also, move your flash a bit more away from the camera - you've got some red-eye in shot 1 and more in shot 3. Still really nice job.

It's worth noting that even with a battery pack you'll still get those underexposed shots. It's unavoidable. What the battery pack will do will be recharge a bit faster but you still won't do away with taking a shot when the flash doesn't have enough charge left in it. I use Canon's battery pack myself but I've heard good things about quantum.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:56 AM   #8

Thanks guys. I did cut off his feet when I had taken the shot. When this happens on a shot like this, do you crop at the leg joints, mid thigh?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
Thanks guys. I did cut off his feet when I had taken the shot. When this happens on a shot like this, do you crop at the leg joints, mid thigh?

For the image you posted I would crop just a bit higher. It is an image by image case. Take what you can get and where.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:37 PM   #10

Thanks Bruce.