Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:21 AM   #1

Default Tried Div III Womens basketball

This gym was very dim, and my Xsi was maxed out at iso1600. First shot the girl was doing a behind the back pass.
Attached Images

Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:32 AM   #2

Mark - really great timing on shot 1. Nice action. Shot is about 2/3 stop underexposed though - something that's especially tough when you have African American skin tones. I would play with the exposure and see if you can bring it up in software a bit. This would be a great shot if you could.

Shot 2 - not much of interest I'm afraid. You need the ball in the frame and the shooter more towards the back of the frame - as it is currently framed that team mate in the left of the frame is really a distraction. Color and WB looks good and sharpness is there. Still a little underexposed but you can easily correct in software.

So in both cases your focus technique was right on and in the first shot your framing and timing was perfect. Second shot - timing just wasn't there. Definitely making progress though! Keep up the good work.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:46 AM   #3

Thanks John, I can't believe how dark these gyms are. There were two pro's there, one on each end of the court, with strobes set up at each end, so I was shooting in-between those things going of..I touched up the one.
Attached Images

Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:23 PM   #4

Mark - the exposure is better in that shot but now the shot shows a distinct yellow color cast. But I think it helps illustrate how important exposure is. To me, being able to see the details in the defender's face makes a big difference.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote