Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 18, 2010, 4:03 PM   #1

Default HS Basketball

C&C if you have the time, thanks!

Frank P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:15 AM   #2

1. Nice photo but they look like they are running down a hill. You can fix that when cropping.

2.This is a nice action shot with good faces. Shame his head(44) is blocking the photo a bit.

3. Beside the ball cropped off some and the running down hill another nice photo.

Overall nice set and looks like lots of fun! Thanks for sharing.
Bruceswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 8:32 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Besides the level issue and perhaps a slight correction to the white balance (slight yellow tone), these are very good (IMO). Good expression on the faces of the players, good frozen action and very sharp.

Did you apply any noise reduction as part of your post processing?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:08 PM   #4

The Level.
I struggled with what to do on this. Take a look at them again. The school name on the wall in the background is close to level or is going uphill, opposite of the floor. Do I level the bottom of the shot or the top. Ive been sitting at the corner of the baseline when I shoot.

The Crop.
I didnt crop any of these shots. Ive been trying to shoot tight, maybe Im shooting too tight? Tough to get the ball, without cutting off the feet and vice versa. These 3 shots show, cut off feet, cut off ball, and not shot too tight.

WB.
Those darn light cycles. Its really tough for me, Im color blind so I see things a different way LOL. I just have to keep training myself to see it.

Noise Reduction.
Im shooting a Canon 7D @ ISO 6400 with a 70-200 2.8 II wide open. I use Topaz Denoise as part of my workflow in Photoshop CS5.

Im hoping somebody can clear this up for me. I read SS all the time, to try to get more insight into the minds of the Pros. They talk about post processing and how the photos need to stay "true". Does this include noise reduction? Typically how much PP is done? Do they just run it through photo mechanic and off the the wire?

Thanks for the feed back.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:24 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I've embedded some comments below.

Jehan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
The Level.
I struggled with what to do on this. Take a look at them again. The school name on the wall in the background is close to level or is going uphill, opposite of the floor. Do I level the bottom of the shot or the top. Ive been sitting at the corner of the baseline when I shoot.

I generally use vertical rather than horizontal elements as my guide for level, e.g. Edges of walls, door jams, etc. This preserves the level perspective as well as the depth of the image caused by the angle of shooting. #2 & 3 look good. Judging by the verticle line on the wall on the left side of the image, #1 could use a bit of clockwise rotation.

WB.
Those darn light cycles. Its really tough for me, Im color blind so I see things a different way LOL. I just have to keep training myself to see it.

WB is always a tough one. I set my camera on fluorescent and still apply correction in PSE. I use the "Remove color cast" feature and it tends to work most of the time.

Thanks for the feed back.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:03 PM   #6

Thanks Jehan, I sit here thinking, why didnt I think of using a vertical line? I'm always learning.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
Thanks Jehan, I sit here thinking, why didnt I think of using a vertical line? I'm always learning.

Don't sweat it.. I was at the state finals in football yesterday, with about 100 other photographers... I seen many of them do the same thing you did with the lines... me included on a few... it happens sometimes.

Last edited by Bruceswar; Dec 19, 2010 at 4:40 PM.
Bruceswar is offline   Reply With Quote