Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 28, 2003, 1:02 PM   #1

Default More skiing

Todasy I went to nearby mountain again but unfortunately it was very cloudy, windy and cold. However I managed to take few pictures. Here are two for action sports category.

The first one is result of patience. I spotted this guy aproaching pretty fast so I panned (panned - right word?) and caught him in the air

The second one is from some competition organized for junior skiers. I liked it. Do you?

After all this was very valuable experience. I learned that it's much better to take winter sports photos on a sunny days, rather tha days like today.
Cheers all
Zuhdo
zuhdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2003, 2:22 PM   #2

Default wow

wow nice!!! were you skiing too? :?
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 4:07 PM   #3

Thanks Vito. No, I don't ski, I just never tried it becaus I don't feel comfortable sliding on ice or snow
Old Dec 29, 2003, 7:11 PM   #4

Zuhdo... Great pics and good capture on the jump, Let me clarify something for you. Panning shots are actualy taken with a long exposer 1/4 or 1/2 shutter speed, and You pan with the action to show movement. Ideally you try to get the subject reasonably clear and the background looks as if it is moving by real fast(Have posted a example) With skiing it is fun to capture takes some practice, But the results are fun to achieve. I like your colors on the cloudy day they are noy washed out. sometime shoot when the sun is out in the snow and you will see that the cloudy day pics are more vibrant color wise . Keep Shooting and posting I for one enjoy them.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 2:26 AM   #5

Cowboy thank you so much! Now this is a real tip for free
Yes, I understand what you explained. Now I can't wait to go there again and to try this.
What I used here was sequential shooting (like 3pps) because of the precious moment and the shutter lag. I experimented with manual focusing and I like it now, much better response time, no need to AF.
Once again, thanks for liking my photos and for this great advice.
Zuhdo
Old Jan 5, 2004, 9:11 PM   #6

For panning, it depends on the speed of the subject. I know for panning motorcycles, it can range from around 1/30 to 1/125 or more, it all depends on the speed of the subject. If you go too slow it will be extremely tough to get the subject sharp.
SpeedyManiac is offline   Reply With Quote