Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:35 AM   #1

Default Company Baseball Game

First time shooting sports, sounded easy when the company asked me to shoot the baseball game, not as easy I thought it would be to shoot. Here are a few shots from that game.

This last guy was the hardest to shoot as every time he did something he would turn away from the camera.

Comments welcome.

Last edited by Calicajun; Dec 30, 2010 at 6:14 PM. Reason: First line didn't sound right.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:22 AM   #2

Not too bad overall. You did not fully stop the action, but that is ok as this was your first time out. I am sure you will take what you learned here and try again with better results. Also another thing to keep in mind is people want to see the action of a game, emotion etc.
Bruceswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the feed back. Are you suggesting fast shutter speed and wider angle of view on the shots?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:11 PM   #4

Yes 3.5 or 2.8 in Full Daylight is needed many times. Sometimes you can get away with 4.0. Just remember you are looking for the action, not just people in motion. In the photos you want to see something happening, or a play being made.

For photo 1 you can crop that one in tighter overall. The top does not add much to the photo.

Just things to keep in mind for next time.
Bruceswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Thanks for the feed back. Are you suggesting fast shutter speed and wider angle of view on the shots?
I'd like to offer an opinion. I agree with faster shutter speed. But I don't agree with wider angle. A sports image tells a story. You only want subjects in the image if they're important to the story - you don't need extraneous players standing around. So, keep it framed tightly. The key in softball/baseball to having multiple people is usually plays at a base - you want to time it so the runner and fielder are right next to each other and not 5 feet apart. Other than plays at a base, softball/baseball shots are usually isolation shots and you want to be as tight as possible to eliminate distracting elements. So, IMO, each of the shots below could actually be framed a bit tighter (although for a first time the framing is pretty good).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:02 AM   #6

I thought about cropping closer but being a company softball game felt I should try to show more of the company people playing. Not sure it work for the framing, as for getting more action shots. Well they are all desk jockeys and we don't get out much.

Thanks for the tips,
Craig