Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:07 AM   #1

Default Tried something new Wrestling at the Middle School

My friend's son wrestles at the middle school and last night I finally got to take some photos at their match. Had never been to middle or high school wrestling until Saturday afternoon and then last night. Now, I am thinking I may want to try a high school meet.

Here are a few shots using 50D and 85mm lens (mostly around f/2 or f/2.5) with EXIF data. Any suggestions on how to improve would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:31 AM   #2

I love the look on the faces...of the wrestlers...especially on one and three. Though you kept the DOF short there are a few faces in the crowd that can be made out that are priceless...the little boy in yellow sweat shirt and the woman with the scowl throughout most pics.
Well done.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:04 PM   #3

Andy,

Really good series here. Exposures are good, WB is good and they're nice and sharp. And you got low. So you're doing a lot of things right. Using an 85mm there's not a lot of room for improvement. Tighter framing can be used as you don't always need the entire body in the frame but you can't do that without more focal length. Very nicely done!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:43 PM   #4

Thanks Lisa - I was trying to get the kids faces and noticed some of those looks in the crowd too while processing. Some are a hoot.

Thanks John - WB is my nemesis and the first run through with these were all glowing orange and I had to scale it back a bit. OF course the focus is tough and I am still trying to learn the best techniques.

I was worried about too much noise so I brought the 85mm. Next time out I may go with the 70-200 - especially if I make to the HS where the lighting is a little better.

I am a little surprised that you mention the entire body is not needed. Until Saturday I had never been to a wrestling match and I sure don't know what makes a good shot. I really hoped to catch more "in the air" action but these kids seemed to be cautious.

Should I try some tight more on the faces and some full body and just mix it up? Certainly would be possible with the 70-200.

Thanks again to you both,
Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:07 AM   #5

Andy - as to whether the whole body is needed - wrestling is a bit different than a lot of other sports - again it comes down to - does that element add to the "story"? Some moves utilize the legs - but oftentimes not. By framing tightly you draw attention to what is of interest in a shot. Here's a shot I used for the paper - having tighter framing draws attention to the expressions:

same on these pins - the particular moves involve mostly upper body - so including the full body doesn't add anything. AND, framing tightly removes those distracting background elements so the action fills the frame. Not saying every shot should be as tight as these, but play around with some throw-away crops from your current match - crop a few of them tighter and decide if you like them better that way or wide - based on what you think you can frame appropriately.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote