Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:17 PM   #1

Default short track

Hi guys,

I was away for sometime, i am here with new pictures, i am not allowed to use external flash. "I didn't touch the exif data". I didn't make any post production by lightroom or photoshop.

I will take more snow sport photos, do you suggest anything? I have CPL filter and i will use it for outdoor sports.
Attached Images

imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:37 PM   #2

Well the second shot is definitely more promising - no one really in good focus in shot # 1. In fact it looks like focus is on the wall in the back. Which isn't surprising if you haven't edited these as that's what is in the center of the frame (the wall). You're best off shooting with center only focus point but you have to keep it on the skater. Shot 2 is better, but the slow shutter speed is hurting you. Can your lens open up more than f5? Also, the shot is underexposed - you can correct that in post and that will help your image a bit. You're definitely better off shooting with a manual exposure so the ice doesn't cause the under exposure you're getting in these. But the 1/320 is really too slow.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:53 PM   #3

They were fast and i didn't have any tripod, monopod. So focus was hard, i used canon kit lens telezoom.

What should i do with manual focus? Settings ?

I used center only focus but as i said it was hard to track them.
Please see my first panning shot.
Attached Images

Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:22 PM   #4

It's not a monopod or tripod you need, it's a better lens. The kit lens is just not going to be able to focus fast or well enough - in addition to the slow shutter speeds you're getting. But to clarify, when I said manual, I meant manual exposure, not manual focus. The problem with allowing the camera to choose the exposure is the camera wants to turn the ice grey as it is in the photo you just posted. By using a manual exposure you can expose a shot properly (ensuring the face is properly exposed) and the ice wont fool the camera.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:14 PM   #5

External flash is not allowed. I used 1600 ISO on some images even at 1600 ISO i didn't get higher shutter speeds.

At least i should play with EV like you said for correct exposure.

How about panning?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
How about panning?
For certain you can try panning. However, in the example you posted, you're too far away for the focal length used to get quality results. You really want the subject filling 3/4 of the vertical frame in-camera to get good results.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:03 PM   #7

John i really like this picture, because of their legs positions and i post-edit this image for correct exposure and for ice fooling.
Attached Images

Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:06 PM   #8

blades and their reflections on ice
Attached Images

Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:42 PM   #9

Some more pictures.. first and second one are for pannings, i hope these are ok John.
The third one, players push their team members.
Attached Images