Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:42 PM   #1

Default icehawks vs falcons-hockey.........

........... lighting in this rink was atrocious- shooting with the d90 there is only so far you can push the settings- i will not raise the iso over 3200- i was dissapointed with the shutter speed-could only get about 320th of a second- i could drop the ss but then the pics would look to oof for me- anyway i know most photographers says its not the gear its you-well i agree to an extent- im upgrading to the d700 as soon as a new model comes out-hoefully that will drive down the coast- anyway heres some from last night........
Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:44 PM   #2

heres some more.......
Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:22 AM   #3

nice shots
here are a few i took
Attached Images

jmp2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:31 AM   #4

jmp2204 - nice framing. Biggest issue is those shots are about a stop under exposed. The exif data has been removed so I don't know what settings you used. But fixing the exposure (preferably in-camera) will make a very noticeable improvement
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
jmp2204 - nice framing. Biggest issue is those shots are about a stop under exposed. The exif data has been removed so I don't know what settings you used. But fixing the exposure (preferably in-camera) will make a very noticeable improvement
Thanks !! I shot them in sports(3200 iso) mode, Borrowed my buddies 100-400 Lseries.(i have a 70-300 i normally use with my t2i) I was attempting to take photos for my buddy to make into posters. I shot in RAW and gave the photos to another friend with Lightroom 3 to play with abit .Although he took the noise out and slightly improved the colour they a quite soft at full size. So he suggested i shoot in shutter P mode and bring down my ISO and increase my shutter as much as i can (then he can work with them better in lightroom) Ant suggestions to what to set up a t2i with the 100-400 L at?

Thanks JMP
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:42 PM   #6

Unfortunately there's no good way to take poster sized images of hockey with the 100-400. One major issue is focus performance of that lens in low light - it's not very good (I know, I have one). You really need an f2.8 lens to take better shots in those kind of light levels with a moving subject.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:34 PM   #7

jmp good work here on the framing-hockey should be shot tight-john g gives good advice here- try to nail exposure in cam-hes also right on about the lenses-2.8 is a must for hockey-also i set a manual white balance by taking a pic of the ice just before the zamboni goes out to resurface-i usually shoot manual 2.8 wide open-push iso to 3200 if you can-and a minimum shutter of 320th of a sec-looking forward to some more from you soon-johnny
Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:32 PM   #8

Thanks , Yes i was aware of using the 2.8 (I assume you guys mean the L series 70-200) i'm just 2500 or what ever short Lol I may have access to a 70-200 2.8 so i will try and take my poster shots with that lense if i can borrow it . I will own one at some point . I Coach 2 teams, so i have a great position for shooting. I need to learn how to best setup my camera for this as well .I have about 1000 hockey shots and just put it in sports mode and go as I have to coach as well and can't get too caught up in the shots.

With the 100-400 L , is my 70 300 is usm any better at focusing under these lighting situations?

The lad how edited my photos said it's easy to adjust the exposer after (he has light room and cs5 ) , just try to get my ISO down . Is lightroom 3 a good choice for postprocessing exposer , noise etc. ?

Thanks Guys
Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:45 PM   #9

here is another (reduced)
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:03 AM   #10

No, the 70-300 isn't going to be any better - it will likely be a bit worse.

Your friend is a little challenged with regards to how to shoot low light sports. You can't drop the ISO without either underexposing even further or dropping shutter speed. While it's "easy" to adjust exposure in lightroom the reality is when you're printing posters you don't want to have a photo that was two stops underexposed corrected in software - the reason is you will either have too much noise OR you'll have to remove the noise and the detail goes along with it. That loss of detail on a 4x6 isn't that big of a deal - but in poster size it is. No, quality photos for large print are created by getting the exposure correct in camera. And, of course if the shutter speed is too low you will have too much motion blur.

As to the correct settings - get out of sports mode.
Set exposure mode to manual
Set ISO / aperture / shutter speed to expose for FACES - that's the key. ISO 3200, f2.8 and 1/400 is probably a decent start - that should put you withinone stop plus or minus of proper exposure - a few test shots will allow you to adjust. Take a look at the OPs photos - that's how the faces should look on your LCD when you review the shots on the camera. That's also why you need to stay out of any mode where the camera determines the exposure - because the composition will skew the exposure - ice or jersey color or background contents will skew the exposure. As the other poster mentioned - set a custom white balance.
Then turn the focus mode to AI-SERVO
Select CENTER FOCUS POINT only - don't let the camera use the other focus points - they'll just mess things up (that's another problem with sports mode it uses all focus points).
Set shot mode to continuous.

You should be good to go (once you rent the 70-200).